Network adapter missing

dknight06

Good afternoon and thanks in advance.

Last week during a weird power surge in my house, my PC started having difficulties, and eventually with no warning the BIOS apparently reset itself to factory defaults. So for about a week I was working through figuring out a 'Operating system is missing error'.

However, after finally getting my BIOS set back up and realizing it switched me back to IDE from RAID, I got the machine working and everything seemed to be ok, except now I cannot connect to the internet.

When I go into device manager, the only two Network adapters listed are the ones that were created when i installed vmware software last year. Prior to the BIOS issue, I had no issues what so ever connecting to my home network and even trying to install Legacy devices doesn't bring up the Realtek network adapter the MoBo came with. Any suggestions?

Long story short: After my computer being out of comission for a week, after getting it back on, my network adapter is missing and I cannot connect to the internet.

Thanks

Try restoring default bios settings then reconfigure your raid. Or disable the net adapter at the bios then boot windows, then reenable it at bios, again check device manager.

Thank you, I will try that. Unfortunately, it looks like something else may be the issue as the BIOS keeps resetting itself all by itself.

I've never seen a failing/failed CMOS battery cause a network card to disappear.

My guess would be the power surge also blew a circuit on your network card.

If this is a desktop - try a new PCI card or if its a laptop try a PCMCIA / PC card net adaptor.

I've never seen a failing/failed CMOS battery cause a network card to disappear.

My guess would be the power surge also blew a circuit on your network card.

If this is a desktop - try a new PCI card or if its a laptop try a PCMCIA / PC card net adaptor.

CMOS battery maybe the cause of BIOS resetting it self not disappearing network adapter.

CMOS battery maybe the cause of BIOS resetting it self not disappearing network adapter.

Correct, I've got to get my BIOS stable prior to fixing the network adapter. Thanks again for the help, just waiting on the CMOS battery to get to my house.

Back