Network printer connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolexf

the office two doors away from mine has a printer connected to one of the two computers there, but the second computer cannot connect to the printer, and both computers are on the network, the printer is shared but, it connects to the printer in my office, so every time we get disturbed by the guy from the next office when there is a printer connected to his colleagues computer we have tried severally to connect him with the printer in his office. any idea why the computer cannot connect to the printer in his office via the network but can connect to the printer in our office via the same network?

Note
We had a laptop in our office too that didnt connect to the printer in our office but could access the network files.

How do i solve the problem and what can i do if i find myself in the situation again

what errors does it give you, i mean the computer u r trying to connect?
Pliz tell us so that we can help u out...

Cheers

Is it a Hp printer? Just go here and start detection

Is File and Print Sharing setup on the computer that has the local Printer attached?

All the PCs must be on the same subnet and use the same ip address range. For example your router may be 192.168.1.1 so the first pc will normally be 192.168.1.2

All the computers need to be on same workgroup. On windows xp the default workgroup is "MSHOME" You can change this if you want to but make sure that all the PCs are on the same workgroup
All the computers need to have different computer names. The computer name is not the same as the computer description. The computer description can be anything you like. To check the computer name and workgroup right click on my computer and select properties. Click on the network identification tab and then click the button marked properties. There you will see the computer name and the workgroup.

File and printer sharing must be bound to your network adaptor. To check this right click on "my network places" and select properties. You will see all the network adaptors in your system listed. Find the one that you are using to connect to your network and then right click on it. Select properties. You should see "File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks" make sur it is ticked.

Is it a Hp printer? Just go here and start detection

Is File and Print Sharing setup on the computer that has the local Printer attached?

All the PCs must be on the same subnet and use the same ip address range. For example your router may be 192.168.1.1 so the first pc will normally be 192.168.1.2

All the computers need to be on same workgroup. On windows xp the default workgroup is "MSHOME" You can change this if you want to but make sure that all the PCs are on the same workgroup
All the computers need to have different computer names. The computer name is not the same as the computer description. The computer description can be anything you like. To check the computer name and workgroup right click on my computer and select properties. Click on the network identification tab and then click the button marked properties. There you will see the computer name and the workgroup.

File and printer sharing must be bound to your network adaptor. To check this right click on "my network places" and select properties. You will see all the network adaptors in your system listed. Find the one that you are using to connect to your network and then right click on it. Select properties. You should see "File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks" make sur it is ticked.

file sharing and printing is setup as computer A can connect to another printer B on the network instead of printer A in the same office as computer A. Another computer C can connect to printer A and B all on the same network. so why can't computer A connect to printer A when it can connect to printer B?

Its Hp laserjet P2015

Good point (I missed that, obviously it's set up shared :rolleyes: )

Anyway try this, on the computer having issues: (from Start->run->cmd, type in each line (actually copy/paste) then press enter on each one)

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset

The printer itself must be shared in the computer it is attached to.
If you Click View Entire Network, then MS Windows network you will see the Workgroup name.

Now click on the name and you get the system names of all systems running.
Click on any system name and you will see the Shared Devices.
If the printer is not shown, then it is not Shared -- fix that.

Once you can see the printer, then you need to get the print drivers for it on EVERY
system that wants to use that printer.
Use the Control Panel, click Printer and Faxes and you get a list of known printers.
Click Add Printer, check (*) A Network Printer, next,
(*) Browse for a printer, next OR
(*) Connect to this printer

the naming looks like \\systemname\printername

hum; Contadiction -- Local vs Tcp/ip.

Local is parallel or USB attached. TCP is Networked.

The route suggested is to view Shared printers from the Network view, just as if
the Add Printer was being used. This 'tells the story' that Add Printer should work or
if Sharing needs attention.

The Local Printer is infact Shared using the Printer Icon- right click-> sharing

hum; Contadiction -- Local vs Tcp/ip.

Local is parallel or USB attached. TCP is Networked.

If you add a Printer using the normal Add Printer button
Then select Local Printer
You can then select TCP/IP

I've always confused at that
Actually some Printer Drivers even use it, for Network Printers set up as Local with TCP/IP settings.

Anyway, whatever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back