Networking problems. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

agronick

I am trying to network two computers. They are both in the same workgroup and both have the same user name and password. The laptop can access the new computer but the new computer can not access the lap top.

The error is:
(my computer) is not accessible. You do not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

Can anyone help?

Need some more details dude.

What are the Operating systems? Are you connecting them via a router or hub or crossover cable?
What is the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway of each PC?

A Windows XP Home
B Wireless 802.11 G router
C Lap top's ip: 192.168.2.3 Other computer's Ip 192.168.2.2
D Subnet: 255.255.255.0
E Gateway: 192.168.2.1

I think i got somewhere. I found some stuff on another forum and did what it said. Now it just says access is denied.

I think a virus messed up the local policy settings. I am going to try to repair windows.

I suppose you have specifically shared a folder, and aren't just trying to access a hidden share?
That is, if you shared a folder and allowed access to it.

The next biggest thing to cause this is a firewall. I might guess that the new PC has some form of firewall that is blocking communication one way or the other. Most new computers would come with Norton or McAfee for free. So check those.

disable firewall for now keep unconnected from the internet while you test
it is security mor'n likly there are 2 places that need set on both machines
sharing and security tabs
keep playing with them
I don't use all users in my permissions and system works both ways fast
I use network and admin thats it
check make sure netbios is tick in advanced dns settings

I built the computer so nothing is preinstalled.

I did enable netbios.

I did disable all firewalls.

And you aren't logged in as limited user account?

Your original error says "My Computer" is not accessible. You may not be able to access that. Which is why I asked about shared folders.
So if you just share out some random folder, you still can't get to it? Not even if you do Start -> Run and type 'computername\\sharename'?

hmm

Nope, not logged in a limited user.

I wrote my computer because the name I gave my computer is stupid. I go start> run

\\my_beast

and the error comes up.

I just rapaired windows. It didnt do anything.

lol

So there you are sitting at the new computer. Run CMD, and, at the prompt, try typing 'ping laptopname'. Or 'ping my_beast'. See if you get a response.
Also make sure the laptop isn't set to hide personal files. Go into My Computer, Documents and Settings. Next right-click your user-name folder and choose properties. Then in the Sharing tab, make sure to UNcheck the make folders private thing. And check out the other settings here. This really just applies for shares in your home folder, but still.

When I ping it I get a response.

I know it is set to share data because I used to always transfer files with another computer to it.

A few days ago I opened up an exe right off the net that was chock full of viruses. I think its time to back stuff up and reformat. Does anyone know of a tool to reset group policy settings?

I don't know about resetting them. But if the tool is installed, you can open gpedit.msc and this will show you all the policy settings. And then if you go into regedit you can see policy entries in these two keys:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

Anyways, a reload may be a bit extreme, but if you've been infected, well, hope you get it sorted out one way or another!

Well I reinstalled windows and everything seemed like it was working fine. I was in the process of mapping my newly formatted network drive when this came up. Thank god for windows security!

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 10
agronick said:
I am trying to network two computers. They are both in the same workgroup and both have the same user name and password. The laptop can access the new computer but the new computer can not access the lap top.

The error is:
(my computer) is not accessible. You do not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Logon failure: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

Can anyone help?

I'm not a pro at this but have spent countless hours on little things. TRY RIGHT click My Network Places/Properties/
You might see 1394 connection and Local Area Connection.
In my case I have:
1394 Connection 1394 Connection 2
Connected Connected
1394 Net Adapter #2 1394 Net Adapter

Local Area Connection 2 Local Area Connection
X Network cable unplugged Connected
Via Rhine III Management ... Realtek RTL8319/810x Family...

Are EACH one of these "Connections" connected to the network?
If so, each double screen monitor will have two lines coming off each monitor connecting to a T with the one end open.
If it is not connected to network, RIGHT click on "Local Area Connection"/Properties/ Advanced Tab/Internet Connection Sharing,CHECK box with Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection. CLICK "OK"! Shut CPU down and reboot.

RIGHT click My Network Places/properties/other places/My Network Places/in Network Tasks CLICK "View workgroup computers.

You should see all computers that areTURNED ON/BOOTED UP that are on your network.

Hope this helps

Yes everything was connected to the network, in the workgroup, with file sharing on. A virus screwed with my group policy settings. I ended up reformating my computer.

Well I reinstalled windows and everything seemed like it was working fine. I was in the process of mapping my newly formatted network drive when this came up. Thank god for windows security!>>error.jpg

since you've formatted, i dont think you should have much troubles with a virus unless it was stored on another drive/partition or somehow downloaded it again..

do you still get the access denied problem? maybe try loging out and relogin again.. i use that trick when my laptop (running WinME) wont access anything on the network, but i'm pretty sure winxp should auto reconnect the lan stuff...

that is part of the Data Execution Prevention thing.. could be caused by a nasty or a badly coded file in that folder eg: a mpeg2 file from a tv tuner that didnt record properly..

scan the folders in question, and try to get back to that folder with normal windows explorer/my network and see if it pops up again on just that particular folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back