Networking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hello everyone, been a while.

I had a connection problem while playing WoW on wireless internet. I solved this problem by moving my computer closer to the router and buying a new networking cable. However, it has become a problem for my family. I need to move my computer back to my room. I cannot run cables all throughout the house, nor can I buy an extra long cable to run across the hallway. It would be a problem.

My question is: if I bought a new cable modem and hooked it all up to the internet through a filter, and set the modem up, will my brother be able to use the PlayStation 2 I have connected to my original modem and still be able to play online while I'm also using the internet or WoW? I REFUSE to go back to wireless.

Thanks guys, I know its been a while

sw123

Why do you refuse to go wireless? The only way to get around running wires down the hallway is to run in out the window outside. I've been doing it that way for years without problem.

I think you're asking can you take ONE cable ISP service, split the coax
appropriately and connect two modems. That will not work due to your ISP
conditioning service to only one of them. You would have to purchase TWO
services from the ISP.

Of course, you already know that
modem---router--- multiple systems​
will work, but you distain the wireless and refuse to run the wires.

You might consider the wireless access for the system with the least demanding needs.

Well,my PS2 would be least demanding, but there is no wireless for that. Maybe I'll move the PS2 somewhere. Ill have to look.

You need to Wireless Bridge Converter, they handle up to 125MBps. They're also called Wired to Wireless Ethernet Converters. They do work but you'll need 2 extra access points placed them on different floors of your dwelling st them to 125Mbps @ 100% full power to really see the wireless kick off. If you're interested pm me I'll tell you what to get.. Cost is low.. Otherwise you'll know what to do ...

So basically an access point? In the hallway between my router and my room? That way I can keep the other stuff on the PS2 and I can use the wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back