networking win 95 and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i would like to connect two laptops with win95 and XP (i need to transfer data).
they both have a network card, and i also have a cross cable. i have been told it is possible but difficult to work out the settings.

thanks

Both computers need to be in the same WORKGROUP.
Using TCP/IP, configure your XP with IP 192.168.0.2 and Subnet 255.255.255.0
Configure W95 with IP 192.168.0.3 and Subnet 255.255.255.0
Activate File-sharing on both.
Try PINGing the other PC. In a Command-window type: ping 192.168.0.2 (or .3 from the other PC)

Thanks a lot, i am going to try these things.
by the way, can i create this connection (2 laptops) as separate from the one that i use to connect xp (or W95) to the outside (internet, via the same lan card..), i have the impression that xp's wizard modifies the connection every time..

I understand that XP's wizard changes the WORKGROUP-name every time (can't say for sure, I use W2K).
If these PC's already both connect to the internet, installing a router with some 10/100 ethernet-ports would help.u would then have permanent access to internet and the other PC's on the router.
The crossover cable is only for 1-to-1 connection via NIC.

That was even too easy! (not used to things working the first go).
it was one-way (only XP could "see" W95), but it was enough for me, i hope i wont need to connect them anymore (i needed to retrieve old data). what (apparently) has to be changed everytime is the IP and gateway addresses (which on 95 means rebooting). but now it is simply curiosity, as i said i dont really need to do it often (hopefully).

thanks a lot again.
(and i agree about guinness)

Windows 95 must have the NetBUI protocol installed to view XP computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back