New BitTorrent client offers truly decentralized P2P

Emil

Staff

While BitTorrent is the most popular P2P protocol, it still relies on several centralized points for users to find the files they are looking. There have been several attempts at making BitTorrent more decentralized, and the latest Tribler 5.3 client is the first to offer the BitTorrent experience without requiring central trackers or search engines, according to TorrentFreak.

Tribler offers some very interesting technologies; the latest version enables users to search and download files from inside the client. Plenty of other clients offer search features, including the ever-popular µTorrent, but Tribler's results come from other peers rather than from a dedicated search engine. Users can search and download content without a server ever getting involved; everything is done among peers, without the need of a BitTorrent tracker or search indexer.

This is a little ironic because it means that the actual torrent file aspect of BitTorrent is no longer necessary. Normally, users have to find the torrent file corresponding to the content they want to download. The torrent file contains the BitTorrent tracker URL which, as its name implies, keeps track of everyone downloading and uploading the content in question. More recently, the need for a tracker has been replaced by technologies like peer exchange (PXE) and distributed hash tables (DHT). A replacement for BitTorrent search engines and indexers had yet to appear, until Tribler 5.3.

Since Tribler is still a rather new BitTorrent client, there are significantly fewer torrents to search from compared to popular BitTorrent search engines, but as it gains more traction, that number should grow exponentially. Furthermore, if competitors like µTorrent jump on board, we may have yet another P2P revolution on our hands.

Permalink to story.

Is Tribler open-source? If so, I would love for someone to merge this with µTorrent.

Tribler powered by µTorrent = might very well be the greatest Bittorent client. :)

But tracker searches display info in such an orderly and organised fashion.because people make an effort to publish their stuff.searching in a client would be kazaa all over again, convenience aside.

It's almost like integrating p2p such as the gnutella network with burlesque. Like lime wire and torrent became one. Very cool

Tribler is licensed with GNU LGPL, Lesser General Public License, as far as i can see. The license is viewable in the subversion repository:

http://svn.tribler.org/abc/branches/mainbranch/Tribler/LICENSE.txt

Be very careful.
After installation, my AV program started asking about a new email account set up to connect to tribler.com.

Way too sneaky. Uninstalled.

"re-inventing Emule". Yup---but without the social engineering and antiquated protocol in emule that make emule downloads take so long.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't address the problem of anonymity. If IP addresses are exchanged, you can be tracked and sued.

So, what would you verify hashes against? Or, how would you have any reliable way of ascertaining reputation of the file?

This sounds like a limewire P2P rebirth.

I'll skip the anonymous sources, thanks.

> Windows-only.
> Not open-source.
> No thanks.

Okay, i take that all back.

It really is decentralized? Then one for piracy, they will be more difficult to trace

For the guest who made the intentionally false comments posted earlier about tribler not being open source.

Developers Center
http://www.tribler.org/trac/wiki/TriblerForDevelopers

The source code of Tribler is publicly available under the LGPL Open Source license.

You can simply browse through it or get access through our SVN repository. Check the

* Tribler architecture
* Tribler API

the technology must incorporate a method of displaying user comments, else it's already a dead technology (as has been stated by other users, this type of decentralized method has already existed.) If you can successfully decentralize a comment section without a ton of spam, then maybe it'll be a revolution.

But if you use torrent sites (like Demonoid), you can browse comments and gain alot of info about broken files, viruses and the like. Saves downloading large files for nothing (Because they're password protected or something)

Got sick of LimeWire, BearShare and the like ery early on because of all that malware crap. I've lost count of the times friends and family have asked me to sort out thier computers because they downloaded some crap virus with an .mp3 extension and ran it, ignoring the virus scanner's warning ("Well it IS only a music file...").

Remember that the majority of users don't understand (or want to learn) about malware and how it gets on to computers, or how they can infect other's computers because of thire ignorance. (Especially while there are mugs like me around who'll fix them time after time. Well, up to a certain point: "Use Limewire and you're on your own")

Isn't it just taking a step backwards...?

Back