New build, will not start

JeremyGS

So I just completed my first build. I plugged it in and the led around my power button lights up but when I try to power it up the CPU heat sink fan only wiggles (moves very slightly once) but nothing else happens.

I've checked, and double checked all my connections and everything looks to be where it's supposed to and seated correctly.
Please help!

So many possible problems...where do we start... start with fan... can you confirm the fan works by trying it on another header in another computer? In some cases, computer won't boot if fan doesn't spin..

Also, please tell us specifics about your system - model numbers help.

The fan has to be spinning and register that fact to the board to boot. Use another fan and be sure its in the CPU fan header.

Tried a different fan and got the same results.

System is.
I3-6300
Motherboard Gigabyte H110M-A
Ballistix (BLS84D240FSA) 8 GB DDR4 (single stick)
GeForce GTX 960 (04G-P4-3966-KR)
EVGA 600B (100-B1-0600-KR)

Last edited:
Best to start this with a thorough check of all power connectors on the motherboard and graphics card. Please go through the assembly section of your manual and confirm all the power connections are made. If so, then I suggest that you remove everything and do a bench top rebuild. This video may help:

Your memory is not listed on the supported list... CRUCIAL 8GB 2Rx8 BLS8G4D240FSA is.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5589#memory support list

That was a typo on my part. I have BLSG4D240FSA. However, I only have one stick do I need two?

That was a typo on my part. I have BLSG4D240FSA. However, I only have one stick do I need two?
I don't see that either. Are you sure the number is right?

Just one stick is not a problem in almost all consumer builds - check you manual.

Focus is on getting POST - check the steps in the video.

Also noticed that the GPU fans do the same thing. When I power it on both the CPU and GPU fans give a slight turn and then nothing.

A different fan doing the same thing means the power to the fan is not sufficient or is interrupted.
Re-seat all connectors.
Verify the power supply is sufficient. (you didn't list what one you are using)

A different fan doing the same thing means the power to the fan is not sufficient or is interrupted.
Re-seat all connectors.
Verify the power supply is sufficient. (you didn't list what one you are using)

Fan is on graphics card - not a different fan he is using to test motherboard.

PSU is listed... EVGA 600B (100-B1-0600-KR).

Power is sufficient.

Sufficient power is produced perhaps, but not delivered. :)
It could be a bad supply, wiring, mobo, connections, etc.
Do you know for a fact that the PSU he has is working properly? I don't.
He also didn't list any HDD...kinda need one. (it isn't causing the current(pun) issue, but he won't get far without one.)

I have done everything in that video.

1. Took the motherboard out of case.
2. Checked all plugs. Cleared CMOS.
3. Uninstalled and reinstalled RAM, Uninstalled and reinstalled in other slot. Even tried to boot with no RAM. All test gave same results (slight fan movement)
4. Removed GPU and tried to use the integrated graphics of the processor.
5. Tried my other 600w power supply.

Nothing did anything more or less. Everything gave me a slight turn of my fan on my cpu and graphic card.

Sufficient power is produced perhaps, but not delivered. :)
It could be a bad supply, wiring, mobo, connections, etc.
Do you know for a fact that the PSU he has is working properly? I don't.
Good thought - we should ask if the fan in PSU spins...other than that, I think the video clip pretty much covers getting to POST, don't you?

I have done everything in that video.

1. Took the motherboard out of case.
2. Checked all plugs. Cleared CMOS.
3. Uninstalled and reinstalled RAM, Uninstalled and reinstalled in other slot. Even tried to boot with no RAM. All test gave same results (slight fan movement)
4. Removed GPU and tried to use the integrated graphics of the processor.
5. Tried my other 600w power supply.

Nothing did anything more or less. Everything gave me a slight turn of my fan on my cpu and graphic card.

Jeremy,
Sorry about this, but I think you have a dead motherboard. Maybe Technician has another idea to offer, but if I had done all you have and still could not get POST, I would initiate the RMA process. The vendor may have an exchange policy...otherwise, you need to consult the support folks at Gigabyte. They may ask you to run through everything again. Maybe there is something they can think of that we haven't.

Jeremy,
Sorry about this, but I think you have a dead motherboard. Maybe Technician has another idea to offer, but if I had done all you have and still could not get POST, I would initiate the RMA process. The vendor may have an exchange policy...otherwise, you need to consult the support folks at Gigabyte. They may ask you to run through everything again. Maybe there is something they can think of that we haven't.

Okay, thank you guys for your help!

Good thought - we should ask if the fan in PSU spins...other than that, I think the video clip pretty much covers getting to POST, don't you?
I didn't watch fan of the PSU at start up but I didn't notice (or hear) the fan run. Both PSU's seemed to be functioning the same (the second one I know works).

Back