New computer built and having problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey this is my first time trying a tech forums, so if they are a helpful as people say they are i plan on using them more often to solve problems i encounter.

I built this computer using parts i had left over from an old computer that was faulty.

I had a brand new hard drive which was compatible, with all this parts, thinking that the problems i had with the old computer was software related. I put it all together and started to install windows xp, but during the copying of files stage the computer shut off and when started back up wouldn't work.

So I put in my brother's spare motherboard (which is compatible with all the left over parts). Hoping that to solve the problem, it finished the copying of files part but now gets a blue screen flash and shut off as windows is still installing (Beyond the blue screen installation part). Says windows needs to restart, and keeps restarting to the blue flash screen. It continues to do this...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Timmytangster

P.S. specs on computer

320GB HDD
4GB DDR2 667
Intel Core2duo E6600
Nvidia 7600 512MB

What you present suggests too many possibilities for incompatibilities and troubles for us to comment... we would need to know the models and part numbers for everything you have presented...

But based on the problems you report, you have a simple problem of defective or incompatible components... Probably with a requirement for too much information to make coherent and useful comments here.

Is this a SATA or IDE hard drive? What motherboard are you using?

The Hard drives are both SATA ( New and old) The new motherboard is ASUS, the old was Intel.

What you present suggests too many possibilities for incompatibilities and troubles for us to comment... we would need to know the models and part numbers for everything you have presented...

But based on the problems you report, you have a simple problem of defective or incompatible components... Probably with a requirement for too much information to make coherent and useful comments here.

If I hook up all the original comments it works fine just really slow and has bugs/viruses on the old hard drive. This was the problem i was hoping to solve with the switch a new, larger, hard drive and just adding windows xp and having a clean slate. Neither of my CD/dvd drivers would work on the old build, so i added a spare one that would. I can get bios up on this new build though before it keeps restarting itself up.

This may seem kind of basic but did you use fresh thermal compound when you installed the heatsink on the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back