New computer crashing and freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acompx2007

I had a computer custom built in this shop, and the guy told me its going to run pretty good, but all ive been getting is my computer crashing!! It just freezes and i end up resetiing or holding the power button, i want to figure out whats wrong but i dont get no error reporting to send to microsoft and it is turned on, can any1 help?? plzzz...

runnin windows xp home edition sp2, comp freezes while idle or when using internet or downloading on azureus..

after posting this thread, my computer has frozen twice already!!! and i just wasted a perfectly good dvd disk! ughh!

This used to happen to me. What I did was I changed my ATI video card settings from 8X AGP to 4X and never had that problem again.

I found this when I was surfing the net to solve this same problem. Also, there is almost 0 difference between 4X and 8X. So if that works don't worry about it too much.

hope this helps.

wel it isnt anything with viruses bcuz i constantly run the scanner and update it..Windows virus protection is on, so is the firewall..I check the video card and doesnt have that option to change it, the adapter is SiS Mirage Graphics, dont know if thats any good..I did update all my drivers through the driver agent website and still this crappy computer keeps freezing on me.....I tried looking for a windows/minidump and I have no such directory..Im going crazy here!!

BTW thnx for the feedback guys..

im runnin norton antivirus, with avg anti-spyware, all updated...ill try using 1 of those software to see what happens..thnx

I personally recommend Kerio, because it seems to configure itself better, but it's up to you.

Usually when your computer crashes, it leaves minidumps in the directory C:\WINDOWS\Minidump. I think minidumps are enabled by default, and so they'll be there unless you turn them off. Go into that folder, find 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps, and zip them up (using winrar or something similar). Then you can upload them as attachments into this thread to be analyzed.

You can analyze them yourself if you want to, by checking out this tutorial.

Regards :)

Thnx, I downloaded Zonealarm and I kind of like this firewall bettr than windows but that didnt fix the problem, my computer is still freezing..I looked for that directory anddidnt see any minidump folder there..I looked under computer properties and saw that it was writing the logs in ---->
%SystemRoot%\Minidump

is that the same place as windows?

Go into C:WINDOWS\Minidump. There should be some files there with a .dmp extension. Attach 5 or 6 of the latest ones here. You may need to zip them though, because I'm not sure if the .dmp file extension is supported for attachments. Anyway, try attaching them in .dmp or .zip format, and we can have a look and see (hopefully) why it's crashing.

Regards :)

Thats the problem...I have no such directory!!! and i know the minidump is on...I just dont know why i dont have that folder under windows :(

Can you take it back to the shop that built it? Don't they guarantee their work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back