New computer - performance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
So I just finished building a new gaming computer earlier this week, and after installing and running a couple games, I'm getting some strange results. For high end games, like Modern Warfare 2, it's performing great. But when I went to play WoW, I get really low FPS despite how I change in game settings. It is playing even worse than my old computer was, which was out of date by about 2 years. Even things like browsing in Firefox seems to have some hiccups every now and then, like the entire program freezes for just a second, but it happens about 1 in 5 pages that I visit.
I made some minor changes in the BIOS, like setting the video to PCIexpress instead of default PCI, and all of the drivers are there, but I can't figure out why the performance seems to come up short. Any ideas?

Edit: Almost forgot, I got a blue screen while closing a program yesterday, a 0A stop error. Not quite sure what it means though.

Specs are:
EVGA 1366 intel x58 SLI LE
Core i7-920 2.66GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB
OCZ 6gb (3x2gb) 1600mhz DDR3
WD Caviar Black 1TB
running on Windows 7 64 bit

Let me know if you need more information, I'll give what I can.

Thanks for that link, I didn't see it my first time through I guess. It did help some, but unfortunately I've run into a new problem. I had my BIOS running on auto settings, and it was running alright. The auto had my memory timing at 7-7-7-18, but my memory handles 9-9-9-27. So I manually changed the memory timing, and changed the DIMM voltage to 1.65v (which is what the memory said it should be used at). I also changed the memory frequency to 1600 (instead of the 1067 it had on auto), but now it seems like it is taking power from the processor. After the change, I noticed a lot more strain on the processor (using a CPU usage gadget on my desktop) when simply starting services after logging into windows, and after a while the entire system will shut itself off, like the plug was pulled.

I talked to a friend and he said it could be a faulty power supply, since a 750watt should be able to handle my system (specs in first post). Is there anything else that comes to mind that could cause the system to shut down?

Also, I just upgraded to windows 7 64bit this week, not sure if it has anything to do with it though.

Thanks.

I hope that after upgrading to Windows 7 x64 you installed the correct 64 bit drivers for your components.

If you have an older / spare PSU, I suggest trying it on the system and determine whether the power supply is at fault.

Yes, I did update with 64bit drivers. The only thing I couldn't get to work with 64bit was my sound card, so I just took it out entirely and am using onboard sound for now.

I don't have another power supply available to me to test with. I ended up RMA'ing the power supply back to newegg (since today was the last day I could do so) and hopefully the one they send back to me will fix my problem. I just can't think of anything else it could be that would cause the system to shut down, outside of not getting enough power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back