New CPU, board and memory time

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy06shake

I will be upgrading my system in july and was wondering if anyone can recomend a new cpu, motherboard and DDR3 sims. I currently have an E8500, ASUS P5N-32E, GTX275, Corsair TX650 PSU and 4gig of DDR2. I was thinking of going with the an Intel Core i7 930 2.80Ghz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366). Can anyone recomend a good board around £150-180 that will fit this CPU and also some DDR3 sims?

The Asus P6X58D-E is a great motherboard at your price point.

Are you planning on going with 6GB of DDR3 memory to utilise the CPU's triple channel memory controller? What's your budget for the memory?

I would like to utilise the CPU's triple channel memory controller. so yes i will need 6Gb. I have around £500 to spend on a new CPU, cooler(Air), motherboard and memmory sims. Any recomendations?

From experience, I'd tell you to go for a core i7 processor and an Asus P6 series motherboard. As for memory, the OCZ platinum is fantastic.I have three DDR3 1280Hz o/c'd to 1700hz.

Ok looks like so far i want an Intel Core i7 930 2.80Ghz (Bloomfield) £216.19 inc. VAT
Asus P6X58D-E Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard £168.01 inc. VAT
Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Memory Kit £130.00 inc. VAT
Total £514.30

Can anyone also recomend a cooler for the above CPU? Will my Corsair TX650 PSU sufficenty power the board above?

Assuming you aren't content with the Intel stock fansink...
The Cogage (Thermalright) True Spirit probably represents the best price/performance point. Includes a decent fan and has similar or better cooling performance to Thermalright's better known (and more expensive) Ultra Extreme and Venemous X -both of which do not include a fan.

Review here and here (rev.2)

Before purchasing ensure that you have enough of a keep-out area between motherboard and your chassis side panel to accomodate a tower cooler. Most coolers that use 120mm fan cooling are usually between 155 and 165mm "tall"

If you're going for heavy overclocking, I'd suggest either a Coolermaster V10 which I currently have and love or you could try a cpu Tessera recommended to me, the Prolimatech Mega Shadow. It looks like a beast to me, so it might fit your need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back