New Dell laptop is shutting down for no obvious reason?

Hey, I recently got a new Dell Laptop. It's nearly a month old and I've been having issues with the system randomly shutting down on me and automatically rebooting up again after its shut down, Which I suppose is more like a restart.

Anyone have any idea why it's doing this, up to a few times a day since my laptop is on for at least 12 hours. It could be overheating, but it doesn't feel that hot at the time it restarts. Is there a possible setting that may be turned on or something that makes it automatically restart every now and then that I should look for or change? I wouldn't be surprised since it's new that there may be automatic settings that need changing or something.

It doesn't put up a warning or anything before it restarts it just does it at anytime, which is particularly annoying if i'm in the middle of something and it dies, so I'm constantly having to save work.

I've got a few years warranty on it if I need to take it back for repairs. But it'd be much easier if i can figure it out here and now rather than wait for it to be put in for repairs for a few weeks and then get it back =S.

It sounds like a heat issue. heat will make a system shut down fast. Make sure you are running this on a hard surface; not on the carpet, on the bed, or other soft surfaces. Get a cooling pad and tell us if the issue persists. Check the vents to make sure there is no dust build-up.

It sounds like a heat issue. heat will make a system shut down fast. Make sure you are running this on a hard surface; not on the carpet, on the bed, or other soft surfaces. Get a cooling pad and tell us if the issue persists. Check the vents to make sure there is no dust build-up.

@Route44
I just got a cooling pad the other day and ever since the system seems to be running very smoothly, and hasn't restarted or shutdown on me. The laptop is always on a hard surface desk so that obviously wasn't the problem, and cleaning out the vents didn't do much for it. I also had a CD in the computer sometimes when I was no longer using it, and the disc was spinning making the fan go like crazy full on non-stop, so taking that out helped a little as well. But overall the cooling pad has helped ALOT, so thanks for the suggestion =)

At one point my laptop was also making this sighing noise, like exhaling which was really bizzare, my dad works in the IT industry and told me that the sound is made by the fan through the speakers, so when you turned the sound to mute you couldn't hear this exhaling sound, but no matter how high or low the volume was notched to as long as it was on you could still hear the sighing at the same volume. Though the sighing didn't come back after I shut the laptop down later that night.

The problem appears to be fixed now so thanks for your help ^_^, until now I'd never herd of a cooling pad but it was relatively easy to pick up one in a local 'Office Works' store.

Have a Nice Day :grinthumb

Monitor this problem closely, you shouldn't be having these problems with a new computer. You didn't provide the model number of the Dell, so can't check to see if others have experienced the same problems with this particular problems.

To help with monitoring,
I would suggest using Everest to monitor your temps...
If for some reason Everest does not report your temps, then try Speedfan.
In my experience the temps reported by Speedfan are not as accurate, but sometimes it will report when Everest does not.
Both have free versions available in our Download section.
You might also like CrystalDiskInfo to monitor drive health (reports SMART as well as Drive temps for all attached drives).
CrystalDiskInfo is available for download at CNET.

Monitor this problem closely, you shouldn't be having these problems with a new computer. You didn't provide the model number of the Dell, so can't check to see if others have experienced the same problems with this particular problems.

@CAMusing
The Dell Laptop's Model Number is: PP39L

Having problem with my laptop which is dell aspiron it has triple continuous beeps when am booting my laptop please just help

Hi John. First, I strongly suggest that you start your own thread as this one is almost 9 years old. Those three beeps indicate that there is a serious issue with your system. Every system whether laptop or PC has what we call a BIOS installed and within that BIOS is a system with many codes based on beeps. This should help you understand: https://www.dell.com/support/articl...nding-beep-codes-on-a-dell-desktop-pc?lang=en

I don't know how old your system is but you may, I say *may* need to consider a new one.

Back