New HP Omen 15 gaming laptops are slimmer, faster, and let you choose between Intel and...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: HP has launched refreshed versions of its Omen 15-inch gaming laptops. The new Omen 15 comes in two general flavors—Intel and AMD with graphics powered by Nvidia. They are also the slimmest, sleekest Omens to date.

The Intel powered Omen 15 starts at $999 and comes with a Core i5-10300H 2.5GHz quad-core CPU (4.5GHz Turbo) with 8MB L3 cache. The base model also packs a 4GB GeForce GTX 1650 to handle graphics. Higher-end models can be configured with a six-core 2.6GHz (boost up to 5GHz) Intel Core i7-10750H and 8GB GeForce RTX 2070 Super Max-Q.

The AMD version of the Omen 15 also starts at $999, packing an 8-core 2.9GHz Ryzen 7 4800H CPU and GeForce GTX 1660 Ti for processing options. It also varies from the Intel model by sporting USB-C ports rather than Thunderbolt 3.

Both varieties come with 8GB to 32GB of DDR4-2933 RAM and up to 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD storage.

They feature a 15.6-inch 4K OLED FHD display (144Hz or 300Hz) with G-Sync. They have one-zone "dragon red" backlit keyboards, with additional options for 4-zone and per-key lighting. All Omen 15 laptops are powered with a 6-cell, 70.9 Wh Li-ion battery and packed into a slim 14.09 x 9.44 x 0.89 mm in chassis.

The new Omens sport better thermal technology with an IR thermopile sensor. Coupled with larger heat-venting ports and a 12V fan, the Omen's Tempest Cooling Technology should handle the cooling needs of the processors. HP claims in its press release that the cooling brings with it near "desktop-level performance."

The Omen Command Center software has been revamped to offer full control over everything, including Nvidia's Dynamic Boost with variable performance modes, fan speeds, keyboard backlighting control, system stats and more.

Starting today, customers can pick up the Omen 15 Intel variant directly from HP. The AMD Ryzen model will hit the store on June 10. Both models are also available at Best Buy.

Permalink to story.

I really like HP Omen. Here at Microcenter, there's an easy choice between the 9750H + 1660Ti+16GB DDR4 for $999 or that same computer with a 2060 for $1099.

Since laptop gaming isn't extremely demanding, I had a few friends and family get the 2060 over the 1660Ti when it was on sale. They love it.

The new 10th Gen Intel CPU are so powerful that as long as you have a 2060 or better, you're future proof for years to come.

If not for Alienware, I'd have definitely gone with HP.

I really like HP Omen. Here at Microcenter, there's an easy choice between the 9750H + 1660Ti+16GB DDR4 for $999 or that same computer with a 2060 for $1099.

Since laptop gaming isn't extremely demanding, I had a few friends and family get the 2060 over the 1660Ti when it was on sale. They love it.

The new 10th Gen Intel CPU are so powerful that as long as you have a 2060 or better, you're future proof for years to come.

If not for Alienware, I'd have definitely gone with HP.
That isn't likely 3000 series NVidia GPUs are on the way by Fall Q3/4 the 3060 on 7nm UVL will easily outpace a 2080.
I'd atleast wait until you are dire for something new it's a big deal when it comes to TDP and it's level of performance depending on the way they tune the chips.

That isn't likely 3000 series NVidia GPUs are on the way by Fall Q3/4 the 3060 on 7nm UVL will easily outpace a 2080.
I'd atleast wait until you are dire for something new it's a big deal when it comes to TDP and it's level of performance depending on the way they tune the chips.

My friends and family who I pushed towards OMEN aren't huge gamer enthusiasts. They just wanted a good computer from a brand they could trust.

I personally won't buy anything new till there's DDR5 and 3000 series mobile GPU.

My friends and family who I pushed towards OMEN aren't huge gamer enthusiasts. They just wanted a good computer from a brand they could trust.

I personally won't buy anything new till there's DDR5 and 3000 series mobile GPU.

OMEN is a gaming brand so you can understand why he thought you were picking it for gaming.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/slp/omen-gaming/laptops

If they are just casual gamers there are MX250 laptops that can be had for $500 ish dollars with 12 hour battery life.

Last edited:
The i5-10300H and the 4800H at the same price point?! If anyone picks the Intel option, they have been living under a rock.
Sucks that they are gimping the AMD models with a dimmer screen though (250nits vs 300nits on the Intel models). Along with restricting the top GPU options to Intel only, as well. Intel's anti-competitive OEM manipulation is freaking ridiculous...

You don't really have a choice between Intel and AMD, you are forced to go with Intel (less powerful and efficient option) because of the limited GPU options.
The article should reflect this and shame HP for doing so, we didn't have AMD CPUs in laptops because they were powerless, now it's Intel the powerless.

This is really disappointing - want the better GPU and screen options ? Sorry, Intel only. Would not be surprised if other gimping was going on, e.g. wrt memory configuration.

It‘s sad that no OEM offers Ryzen based models that can be configured with all the high end options.

Also, if you buy the gimped Ryzen models you are both simultaneously supporting AMD in laptops but also OEM only offering lesser equipped AMD based models.

So da**ed if you do, da**ed if you don‘t. Would be much better if you could give OEM the finger and buy from the one that does it right, but as consumers we are sadly not given that choice.

Would have been nice if Omen (HP) had offered equivalent machines for both architectures and let the customer decide but I guess the Intel Marketing Fund has to be spent somewhere (and I type this as an Intel chip owner - I feel so dirty) . Would be good to see a fight out review of both base models though.

For 999 that Ryzen 4800H + 1660ti is a fantastic buy (for the same price, I can't fathom why would anyone choose the 10300/1650 combo). Granted, it is a bit sad that you can't go for premium GPUs on the Ryzen line, BUT (and that is a big but), even with the 1660ti, it is a very good and balanced offering, capable of addressing the needs of many gamers (and thanks to the 8-core Ryzen CPU, even many content creators) out there.
One needs to keep in mind that for laptop GPUs (and only in case of laptop GPUs), there is not much performance difference between the 1660ti and 2060, which is kind of sad, but that's how they drew the specs (desktop is different, I know, but we are considering laptop solutions here)

The i5-10300H and the 4800H at the same price point?! If anyone picks the Intel option, they have been living under a rock.
They are at the same price point only because the Ryzen version actually has a much stronger graphic card. The Ryzen 4000 mobile series are budget-priced, high performance CPU's.

Maybe, and I mean just maybe HP has finally gotten their act together BUT if it's' filled with strictly proprietary gear I'd have to pass. They overcharge for everything in the past so I'm expecting the same with these .... hope they prove me wrong!

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28903861 im gaming on i5-10300H cpu. only for low end games like 4k gaming. so putting a bad speed on lower laptops would be incorrect. good cpu gpu and enough ram for rendering gaming.

Have you compared the Intel 10300H to the Ryzen 4800H on that very website you linked to?

4800H user rating 61%
10300H user rating 50%

And in your specific link in the Processor section it says "[!] Performing below expectations (31st percentile)"

Maybe try a different CPU next time.

"They feature a 15.6-inch 4K OLED FHD display (144Hz or 300Hz) with G-Sync"... How is a screen both 4K and FHD at the same time?

Also, the website lists the 4K option as IPS, not OLED. I don't see an OLED option anywhere...

Regardless of which, I won't be rewarding HP for gimping the better of the two CPU choices. I mean really - WTF?!?

AMD's laptop processor choices have ranged been uncompetitive and utter crap for a decade.

If you are a system manufacturer how many people do you think, who have been told something is crap for a decade, will now believe that there's been a big turnaround and they should spend >$1300 with an high end 2070 Super in it?

Just because that's actually happened and is true doesn't mean people will believe it and buy in the numbers required to make a new model. It will take at least a generation of increased demand and frankly product shortages from that demand for the manufacturers to take that chance.

Back