New install - Odd Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odd problem - I wanted to install RAID/ACHI drivers and had some difficulties doing that, but finally got that accomplished. It took me 4 or 5 installs of XP to finally get it done. In each case, I simply reinstalled over the old installation - The machine boots into windows fine but I now get a screen during boot that lists 5 identical Win XP installs and asks me which one I want to use -(This is the screen you ususally see if you have more than 1 OS and can boot to one or the other).There is only one copy of XP on the machine. I can choose one and move on or the system will move on in 10 or 15 seconds, but it is unnecessary and a pain. - Each prior install obviously left some trace that the system thinks is another OS or XP variant - Can I remove them and not have that screen appear, or do I have to reformat and start over (Sigh...)

Any and all help appreciated

Steve

Rt. Click on My Computer>>Properties>>Advanced and go down to Startup and Recovery, then>>Edit. Copy what is there and paste in your next post.

>> = Click on

mickzer.

Now what?

You absolutley nailed the problem

The setup showed the following:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.7
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.7="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.5="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.4="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.3="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Seeing that I went to the root drive of c: and I have 8 (Count 'em 8) Windows directories

Windows
Windows.1
Windows.2
Windows.3
Windows.4...

Windows.7

Some represent full installs - some represent failed installs (I suspect 3,4,5,7 are the sucessful installs and 1,2,and 6 represent the failed installs)

Windows.7 is the install that I got right with installation of ACHI SATA drivers/controller

What to do now...

I would like my active windows directory to be Windows rather than Windows.7 (Life will be so much easier down the road)

can I simply delete windows through windows.6 and then rename windows.7 to windows and then just edit the boot record above
After editing it would look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

-OR-

delete all the files and reinstall

-OR-
reformat and reinstall

-OR-
something else ...

Many thanks for getting me on the right road

Steve

I don't think I've ever seen so many OS's (failed or successful). I'm no expert but if you've nothing important on your computer I think you'd be better off making a fresh start.I would only edit what's between the quotation marks" ".

Just to give you a clue, here's my BOOT.INI :

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

...which is more or less what you say you want.But I do'nt know if I would delete the .7 part.
Maybe one of the more knowledgeable members will chip in.
HTH.

mickzer.

Here's what I did

I tried both:

I changed the boot list and deleted Windows through Windows.6 and booted the system - no problem. I then deleted the windows directories (windows through windows.6) and again booted (windows.7 is the only remaining).Again no problem. I then changed the boot log to change windows.7 to windows. I then tried to rename windows.7 to windows and the system obtstinately would not let me change the name or even change the attributes so I could rename.

So I reformated the disk and reloaded the OS - All done.. System works fine-
This was a lot of work to be able to load the ACHI drivers, and I'm not sure why I wanted to or if I'll ever use them. But I finally beat the silicon...

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

srock said:
Odd problem - I wanted to install RAID/ACHI drivers and had some difficulties doing that, but finally got that accomplished. It took me 4 or 5 installs of XP to finally get it done. In each case, I simply reinstalled over the old installation - The machine boots into windows fine but I now get a screen during boot that lists 5 identical Win XP installs and asks me which one I want to use -(This is the screen you ususally see if you have more than 1 OS and can boot to one or the other).There is only one copy of XP on the machine. I can choose one and move on or the system will move on in 10 or 15 seconds, but it is unnecessary and a pain. - Each prior install obviously left some trace that the system thinks is another OS or XP variant - Can I remove them and not have that screen appear, or do I have to reformat and start over (Sigh...)

Any and all help appreciated

Steve

What you should have done is always format your hard-drive especially ' C ' (you can several partitions but windows is always installed in C).

Then install a fresh copy of windows.

Make a bootable image disc (this disc will allow you speed up the process of restoring you pc).

This avoids the great headache and trouble when installing Windows.

bootable disk

Instaled windows many times before, but never on a fresh build- Also made my first transition to SATA (always IDE before), also my first time installing 3rd party drivers for the drive controllers (ACHI), and my first time slipstreaming- All in all much learned (often the hard way) - I wonder how people did this stuff before there waa all this great help and experience available on the NET??

Thx
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back