New Install Win 8

My computer crashed while downloading Itunes. I reformatted my HD . I can't seem to get it to start up. I tried putting my Win XP disk in but I get this message ,( An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. ) All I have is the HD and my DVD . It just will not boot up. Any help would be great. Thank You

Your post is a bit confused. The title doesn't gel with the fact that you are trying to run XP. When you formatted the hard drive you wiped everything including Windows. You will unfortunately now have to reinstall Windows but the good news is you have an installation disk.

When you turn on the computer you get a few seconds to hit a key which will take you to the BIOS screen. The appropriate key varies from computer to computer but the necessary info will usually flash up on the screen just before Windows boots.

There is an option to change the boot order in the BIOS. You can make the computer read the DVD rom drive first when trying to boot. Whatever you do leave everything else as it is in the BIOS settings. Only change the boot order to make the DVD drive first priority, reboot and your installation disk will be recognised. Now you can begin the process of reinstalling XP. After that there will be updates to SP3 and all the subsequent security updates.

This is going to take an awfully long time and there may be further problems on the way. When that's all done you can reinstall the programs that you had before.

Bazz2004 is right - confused is right. Where does your 'New install win 8' come in?

Yup, above posts are correct. Also, while it isn't completely impossible that the iTunes install killed your computer, it is pretty unlikely. A possibility is your hard drive died, hard drives almost never die while the computer is running, but rebooting/power cycling causes a dying hd to finally die.

Even if you have a dead hd, Bazz is correct - you should be able to boot off the dvd regardless of what is wrong (aside from a dead PSU/mobo/dvd drive).

Back