New Intel Core 2 Duo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolmatt

Hi, I was interested in purchasing this new Intel processor. First of all, I'm going to post what I currently am using as my PC...

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.4Ghz
Ultra 1GB DDR PC3200
ASUS K8V-X SE Mobo
Samsung 80 GB IDE, Seagate 30 GB IDE, and (unknown) 10 GB IDE
etc...

I purchased my CPU, Mobo and Memory about 7 months ago and so I would like to go into dual-core processing. Previously, I had been looking at Athlon X2 processors but they seem to be over my budget. Right now, I'm looking at getting an Intel Processor (because I seem to be more interested in a budget processor that is heck of fast.) After noticing that the new Intel processors are going to become "top-of-the-line", I wanted to get one of them. What I wanted to know is if this is a good step to be making and if it is, will there be an ASUS mobo w/ SLI available at launch?

What I am mainly looking for is is getting this processor and upgrade a good step up at this point or should I wait longer? Any help on this would be appreciated.

BTW you said that you want one that is "fast" and thats why you chose Intel.

AMD proccesses focus on more operations per second rather than clock speed.

Just my input
...AMD

The Core 2 Duo is based on intel's new Conroe core and it will be the first time in over 6 years that intel will have a processer that is both faster (processes and clock speed) and more power efficent than what AMD has. Don't goe me wrong the X2 is a great CPU but if you want the best (at least for now) get the Core 2 Duo. I haven't seen any preordering but you may be able to do so at some sites. The lunch date and time for the Core 2 Duo is 3:00PM eastern time July 27 If that helps you any. You will need a motherboard with one of the following chipsets for the Core 2 Duo (Intel 946GZ,P965)The P965 Motherboards are already avalible.
Here is the ASUS board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131028 it appears to meat your requirements although it is expensive once Core 2 DUO is released there will probably be more boards avalible at lower prices.

Evidently problems in the middle east have caused Intel to stop some sites for accepting preorders. It will be around some time July 27 to mid Auguest. :D

My mobo it the top of the line now, give it time and others are comming. I payed $235 when it was just listed at newegg, now it's $270! You have nice stuff there, waiting a month or two will be good.

I would definitely wait it out for awhile. Given your system specs, there's no need to upgrade immediately. Also - now this is just my opinion - but with AMD announcing their 4x4 platform (dual dual core CPU's) it seems like they will probably be lowering the prices of their current X2's and releasing some new ones.

Mirob said:
Evidently problems in the middle east have caused Intel to stop some sites for accepting preorders. It will be around some time July 27 to mid Auguest. :D

That's ok I can't afford one untill october or november anyway (Right now I'm spending alot to upgrade my old P3 server to an AMD Athlon 64). I'll also have to wait untill they release a BTX motherboard for it sience I don't want to replace my case.

Charles said:
I would definitely wait it out for awhile. Given your system specs, there's no need to upgrade immediately. Also - now this is just my opinion - but with AMD announcing their 4x4 platform (dual dual core CPU's) it seems like they will probably be lowering the prices of their current X2's and releasing some new ones.

AMD will have a 3600+, 2GHz 2x 256mb cache (X2 Sempron?) Intel will have 915, 925, and a Core 2 Duo E4300 in the price range in December, all in the Low hundreds.

4x4 is a waste, unless you are running a big server. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back