New Intel E6400 CPU - Can't see much improvement in performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyleronline

Hi there peole I recently bought a new Mobo and an Intel E6400 Core 2 Duo CPU and I havnt noticed much of an improvement in speed. It runs way cooler and but doesnt seem much faster than what i had before (Intel P4 3.2). I was told this was becasue i have to reinstall windows so that it is optimized for dual core usage and also that getting windows professional instead of home would improve performance.

Could these things be the cause? I also bought 2 512mb of corsair 677mghz ram to go with it. any help would be appreciated.

Will

Are you using it for internet or games? It will be much faster in games, encoding, and everything.

I am using it for audio and video apps such as Cubase Kontakt Adobe Premiere etc. It is faster at encoding and stuff but not by much at all. Do you think reformatting would help? Cheers

i got the duo core 2 like 2 weeks ago 2.13 ghz updated bios and it automatically updated mines to a 2.14 ghz overclocks it when u update the bios also running 3 gig ram..and the system is very fast i can tell the differance with my intel p4 3.2 ghz esp when converting movies it took me like 45 mins to a hour cut it down on the duo core like to 20-30 mins or so...and the apps run much smooth and faster.

Did you reinstall windows though. I need to know whether this will make a big difference or not. Because I have alot of stuff to back up if i do!

well if u just updated to duo core 2 and new mobo your suppose to reinstall windows for the best performance so yea i did reinstall windows.

Have to go with RUDEBWOY. Would reinstall windows so that you have a clean install :)

i was forced to do a reinstall with windows i did a major upgrade new mobo new ram new processor...best thing to do was to reinstall so nothing with windows got messed with...any way tell us how it went after u updated will like to know.

what are you system specs?

the only way you'll see the differance.. is if you have a heavy load ex. gaming.

Video card might be bottlenecking
> harddrive < the biggest bottlenecks...

Check you bios to make sure you cpu is clock correctly and defrag the drive.

btw if you have a asus mobo and you said your running a duo core 2 2.13 ghz if you upgrade to the newest bios it automatically over clocks it for you...i upgraded to the newest p5B bios for my asus mobo and duo core 2 2.13 ghz processor and it over clocked it for me to 2.14 ...

For best performance, always do a fresh install of Windows after replacing ur PC's mobo. Win XP always has problems running properly when u get a new mobo without a clean install. It has something to do with the OS's Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Hey everyone sorry for the slow reply have been having some interent problems of late. In answer to your questions my specs are

Asrock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 MOBO

Intel E6400 CPU

2x 512 Corsair Value Ram (Dual Channel)

120gb Seagate Barracuda SYSTEM IDE DRIVE

400gb Seagate Barracuda SATA FILE DRIVE

ATI Radeon X300 Graphics Card

I am pretty sure I have the latest BIOS anyway but I will double check. I only bought the MOBO a month ago.

I am planning on getting a WD Raptor Drive next week so I will do a clean install with that.

I may consider overcloking the CPU as my temps are really good at the moment (25 c idle)

If anyone can see a problem with my hardware then please say!

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back