New interface tabs comment

gbhall

Panic moment this morning, when I could not find 'my posts' for a few moments.

Found it eventually, and it's fine, except it only shows the two tabs to the right - 'myposts/welcome' when the 'active' main tab is 'forums' For all the other 7 main tabs, on the right is 'about/login/joinnow'

My only gripe is this is a little more specific than it perhaps needs to be, because previously 'My posts' was always available, no matter which main tab was selected. It is now a little harder to be sure I am logged in, when I use several different PC's to connect. Furthermore, login/joinnow are both completely pointless if one is automatically logged in anyway ;)

I suppose I am saying, 'why not have the right-hand either 'about/login/joinnow' OR 'about/my posts' all the time, just according to whether you are logged-in or not?

Hi gbhall,

I'm glad to hear you have noticed the interface changes. Some times these are too minor that people won't notice :).

The secondary menu panel has been modified on the main site and added on the forums. You may need to clear your cache to see these correctly because I have modified the CSS stylesheet which is usually cached by the browser.

On the main site and on the forums, if you are not logged in you should see:
Join now/Login/About

If you are logged in, on the main site you should see: Welcome username/Profile/Posts
And on the forums: Welcome username/My posts

Addressing your concern, we have not removed the 'my posts' option, quite the contrary, giving it more relevance on the forum menu and adding it to the main site, so you can have quicker one-click access to it.

Besides that change, we have also made member profile pages a bit more user-friendly:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/users/julio/

Well, I renewed the cache, and waited several days in case any further changes appeared, but things are still the same - I don't actually get 'one-click access'to my posts. This is because on the main site, I get - even when automatically signed-in - only join now/login/about, except when the selected tab is 'forums', when I get Welcome username/my posts.

So in reality, access to my posts is after two clicks. I am just a tad disappointed that I cannot get welcome/posts all the time. No problem if that would be a lot of work though....

You are quite right - I never even knew there were two logins - I have just been automatically recognised for years. Now I presumably have two cookies.....thanks for the pointer.

No problem :). It's a design problem on our side I must admit, the vbulletin login form will only set the forum cookie, not a site-wide cookie. Hopefully we will get around it some day.

Back