New Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

Looks like Microsoft has a new removal tool for the nasty stuff.

Haven't tried it yet, but for those of you having problems I'd say this is probably a good place to start.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=en

The Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool checks Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Server 2003 computers for and helps remove infections by specific, prevalent malicious software—including Blaster, Sasser, and Mydoom. When the detection and removal process is complete, the tool displays a report describing the outcome, including which, if any, malicious software was detected and removed. The tool creates a log file named mrt.log in the %WINDIR%\debug folder.

I just downloaded it and ran it.

VERY fast. Scanned this computer (work notebook) in about 10-15 seconds.

It looks for about 40 or 50 of the top malicious bad boys.

Yeah it`s been around for quite some time. Jan 2005 I think, and usually gets updated once a month.

I don`t know how effective it is, because I never seem to get any infections on my system, apart from the odd cookie.

Regards Howard :)

It's been around for a bit has it?

I saw the Date Published: 11/11/2005 and figured it was new. But I guess they were just refering to the latest version's publish date....

And here I was all excited to report something new. My dreams of being the bringer of incredible news that saves the world has been foiled, yet again. Ah well. :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back