New mobo can't detect IDE or SATA

Hope someone can advise me please.

I have just bought a new motherboard (Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H), 2 x 2gb dimms, AMD Phenom II X4 965 (BE) and a new case. I took out the IDE dvd drive from my old machine (the one i'm writing this post on) and two sata drives (plus the psu).

I assembled the motherboard into the new case with the ram and cpu and it boots up fine (no beeps etc). The problem i'm having is getting the mobo to detect the sata and the ide drive. It's been a good 3-4 years since i last upgraded and many of the options in the bios i am unsure of. I have spent the past 3 hours trying to get the motherboard to find anything. I am not sure if the psu is the culprit as it is only a 450w (ish) psu. The manual is pretty unhelpful and doesn't go into much detail about anything. It does mention to use a minimum of 500w psu to avoid manfunction or booting problems, but all seems well apart from detecting drives.

I even removed my ATi 9500 pro because i know it used lots of juice and might help me figure this out. No change. All i have plugged into the motherboard is the ram, cpu, and an X-fi soundcard.

Surely buying another psu that can deliver another 30-50w of power won't make this suddenly detect the drives?

I just have two oldish drives (not in raid) and this older pc detects them fine. I had to pull out the hardware again to get this machine running again so i could get on the web to look for help. What is AHCI ?

Has anyone got experience on this motherboard? can someone explain please the sata settings in the bios and what i should use. One option mentions port 4 and 5 (ide i think) but this confuses me. I see settings for 'native ide' but don't understand the relevance with sata. If anyone has the correct settings, i can then maybe try them and if still doesn't work it might be the board i guess. Can't believe why everything else if perfect, but the detection side is so problematic!!

Many thanks in advance

Back