New OS Installation problems for xp pro. Help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdylaw

Hi, I have been having a few problems with my laptop which is currently running on the preinstalled xp home OS. I thought that perhaps the issues were caused by having so much "stuff" on the H Drive which left me with under 3GB of free space. So, I got myself an external HD and moved about 45GB across and things were good for a while........ Then, on occassion, I get this blue screen saying something like "STOP, fault in non page area.........restart your computer...." So, I restart the computer and all is fine for a week or so and then it happens again. The screen also advises to check software and hardware that was recently installed. Now, this blue screen did occur before the new external hard drive came along and there was no installation required for this device, just plug in and off we go.
I have run memtest86 to see if there are any errors with the RAM and thankfully there were no errors to report after I ran the program twice just to be sure.
I am now concerned that it is an error with my OS windows xp home as I have had to repair this once already. I have a windows xp pro disc and would like to install this and get rid of xp home entirely and this is where I am stumped on what to do.....
When I boot from the xp pro cd, it asks where I would like to install. If I choose the C drive (computers main HD) then I am told that because xp home is already there, problems may occur and it will not install anywhere else.
I really do not know what partitioning actually entails and I dont want to mess about with things that I dont understand, so please accept my ignorance and any assistance or advice will be much appreciated.

lawdylaw said:
I really do not know what partitioning actually entails and I dont want to mess about with things that I dont understand, so please accept my ignorance and any assistance or advice will be much appreciated.

Hi

Its quite alright to ask questions, its how we learn.

As for your problem, as you have Home installed, and you want to install Pro then windows is just warning you that it may cause a problem.

If you proceed with the install then Pro will just install alongside the home version, this can cause issues so it is always best just to wipe the HD and start from scratch, you will of course need to backup any data you have and ensure that you have all the needed drivers beforehand.

If you really arent sure then a few pounds/bucks/yens/rands etc spent on taking it to a competent PC engineer would be money well spent.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back