New PC - Any changes you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody! I'm buying a new PC in a few days, I just wanted to throw this out there in case I was making some bad decisions. I'm not a genius when it comes to hardware, but I've done a lot of research on this one. Here's what I'm thinking:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
Hard Drive: 320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM)
OPT Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write
Monitor: 19 inch Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
Video Card: EVGA 8800 GTS 320MB Superclocked

I know some people might criticize my choice of hard drive, but I've been living with 80 GiB for a long time and never maxed it out. Not to mention it's easily upgraded. I plan on using it for games, Compiz Fusion, and Maya / Blender 3D stuff. This is going to be for the most part pre-built, I don't have the know-how to build it myself. I'll also let you know that I'm on a budget of about 1.5K

A couple of quick questions - I don't really like Vista, but I'd prefer to not have to upgrade in the future. Is there any compelling reason to go with XP/Vista? Security is not an issue here, nor is eye candy. I will use Linux for pretty much everything but games and 3D.

Also - do you think the Quad core will be more supported in the future? Otherwise, I'll probably get it anyways for EXTREME multitasking ;)

I value your opinions. You are now free to pick apart my configuration.

Make sure you get a quality power supply that will handle the load you will be throwing at it. A quality 500 watt unit would be a minimum.

Multicore is the wave of the future so you should be safe in going with a quad right now. 320GB is a decent amount of HDD space, don't worry about that. You might want to consider DDR2 800 instead of 667, especially for gaming and 3D apps as there really isn't much price difference. Just get Vista Home Premium and be done with it. XP Pro is about the same price.

Looks pretty solid. What motherboard? Might be worth getting the 800 as opposed to 667 like nick suggested. I'd disagree slightly with 500W. I'm running a similar system (dual not quad (e6400), but more hds) and under full load in a gaming situation my Kill-a-Watt meter says less than 250W. I've got an Enermax Noisetaker II 485W powering it.

As for Vista. Its not terrible, UAC is sort of a pain, but it can be disabled. I imagine it will become more customizable when SP1 comes out. It (Vista) will game fine with that processor and that video card, esp at the resolutions you are limited to with a 19" WS.

If you find Vista really painful you can just spend more time in Linux :)

You really need to decide on a motherboard before you decide on your memory. The motherboard you choose will determine the memory standard you end up using.

Double check your 3d rendering software for vista compatibility dude. There are quite a few developers that aint quite got there yet.
Cinders is right, you need to be wise with your mobo choice. Personally i'd say the Gigabyte DS3R P35. I recently built 2 cad/rendering rigs with this, 1 with E6600, 1 with Q6600. Both fly nice and stable thank you very much. :)

Like I said, the machine is pre-built. As much as I hate to say it - I'm getting a... a Dell XPS :(

So the motherboard is chosen for me. After doing a bunch of research, the power supply can easily take my setup. Though rated at 375W (scary, I know), it is on a different scale, operating at something closer to 500W according to the way others are rated. This is proven by the 30A rating. Also, I've managed to get the card under warranty and everything, so as long as I don't overclock or pour water on everything, I'm covered if it isn't enough power for some strange reason. Just to prove the point further, Dell even offers a package with the 8800GTX on the SAME power supply.

I wouldhave gone with the 800 RAM, but they wanted to charge me more for it, and I'm on a budget.

My 3D and CAD software etc. all support Vista, as long as nVidia's Vista drivers are good, I should be okay.

SNG - I'll be using more linux for sure! Dude - It's got Compiz Fusion!

Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

I officially ordered it this morning, I should get it in the next week or two.

Maybe when I get it I'll post a few benchmarks, maybe even a short review.

Final specs are as follows:

XPS 410, Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor Q6600 (2.4GHz,1066FSB) with 8MB cache
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 320 MB PCI-E Graphics Card
19 in (19 in viewable) SE198WFPV Widescreen Flat Panel Display
320GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive (7200RPM)
16X DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combination Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, English

Thanks again for the help, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back