New PC build (gaming)

ramonsterns

After much herpin' and derpin' on my part, I'm going to do what I should have done from the get go.

• What are you going to use the PC for?
    Gaming
  • How much is your budget?
    ~$1200
  • Are you willing to buy online?
    Only from Newegg
  • Have you already bought any parts?
    Yes, but will cancel order due to mistake.
  • Do you have an Operating System (OS)?
    No.
  • Will you need any aftermarket cooling, such as a CPU\GPU cooler or a watercooling setup?
    No, maybe a CPU heatsink if budget allows and is necessary.

I'd also like it if it was Intel/Nvidia based.

ORIGINAL POST:
I've already bought it, and on hindsight, I should have done this before hand.

Anyways, if some of you hardware gurus could rate my build, I'd greatly appreciated.

Case - Antec Three Hundred Illusion
Power Supply - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro (1000W)
DVD Reader - LITEON
RAM - OCZ Gold 6gb (3x2gb)
MOBO - MSI H55M-ED55
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda (1TB)
Video Cards (2 - N460GTX
CPU - i7 (3.02 GHz)

Total: $1230.13

Ya you really should have posted your build before you went ahead an bought the parts as they are not compatible. Your motherboard selection is a Micro ATX socket type LGA 1156 and your CPU is socket type LGA 1366. Even though your motherboard supports i7, you needed something like the i7 860 and SLIing on that board is pushing it imo also that RAM is pointless.

We should be able to salvage something and getting you a good build, but it might cost you more depending on if you can return some hardware. This is what I think would be the best option for you. If you want to keep that i7 you'll be needing a new motherboard, the GA-X58A-UD3R would be the best fit imo especially since you want to SLI GTX 460's & that RAM should be fine.

If you got all these parts from Newegg you shouldn't have much trouble returning them, but you'll likely have to pay the restocking fee.

Also that PSU is quite the overkill for that system, if you are interested in something modular I'd say this XFX BE 750W would serve you just fine. You could even go lower if you wanted too but at $110 after MIR I'd say it's a decent deal.

Ya you really should have posted your build before you went ahead an bought the parts as they are not compatible. Your motherboard selection is a Micro ATX socket type LGA 1156 and your CPU is socket type LGA 1366. Even though your motherboard supports i7, you needed something like the i7 860 and SLIing on that board is pushing it imo also that RAM is pointless.

We should be able to salvage something and getting you a good build, but it might cost you more depending on if you can return some hardware. This is what I think would be the best option for you. If you want to keep that i7 you'll be needing a new motherboard, the GA-X58A-UD3R would be the best fit imo especially since you want to SLI GTX 460's & that RAM should be fine.

If you got all these parts from Newegg you shouldn't have much trouble returning them, but you'll likely have to pay the restocking fee.

I just noticed the MOBO is Micro ATX, not ATX.

Godamit, cancelling like the Fist of the North Star.

Thanks man.

No matter what you decide on the case, you will need a new motherboard if you plan on keeping that i7. I would recommend getting a new case though if you plan on SLIing as that mid tower might be a tight fit.

And just wondering, what resolution do you plan on gaming with especially since you want to SLI?

No matter what you decide on the case, you will need a new motherboard if you plan on keeping that i7. I would recommend getting a new case though if you plan on SLIing as that mid tower might be a tight fit.

And just wondering, what resolution do you plan on gaming with especially since you want to SLI?

To be honest with you, this is something I put together on Friday, double checked to make sure everything was compatible (Mental Note To Self: LOL, YEAH GOOD JOB, DIPSHIT) and apparently bought it on impulse.

Cold shower time

We can still salvage the build as I said above but it will probably cost ya some. If you have the ability to return everything with no hassle & you go ahead and do that we could create you a whole new build that is actually compatible and maybe even save you money.

We can still salvage the build as I said above but it will probably cost ya some. If you have the ability to return everything with no hassle & you go ahead and do that we could create you a whole new build that is actually compatible and maybe even save you money.

Well, if you want to build something similar, don't let me stop you, I'd greatly appreciate it, but it has to be under $1200.

I was actually going to buy this initially, but it was out of stock yesterday.

I'll probably return the whole thing when I call them monday and order the above unless you make something better so knock yourself out.

Sorry for the double post, simply updating on the fact I've cancelled my order (Newegg forces me to cancel the whole order) and I've edited the original post.

Try this build:
Grand Total = ~$1100, not counting rebates, but counting shipping. Leaves you enough for a decent CPU cooler of your choice; I recommend the Corsair H50\H70 (for a novel watercooling solution), the Zerotherm ZT-10D or the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme. Paired with some great fans like the Scythe Kaze Jyuni or the Yate Loon D12SL-12, you should get some superb cooling for your CPU.

You could also get an SSD if you drop down to a cheaper case like the AZZA Solano, and go for a cheaper 1TB HDD. It's entirely upto you if you want one though; I didn't recommend one since you didn't choose it earlier, but if you are looking for one (and I highly recommend it), get this.

The system should be able to rip through almost anything, without a lot of effort, especially if you're playing any resolution upto 1920x1080.

Hey guys,

After talking to Relic and reviewing your suggestions and builds I went back and put something together. After having cancelled the last order, I'm in no hurry to buy a new computer, so feel free to let me know if you could improve on it or if I got it completely wrong.

New Build:

DVD Burner
Video Card
PSU
RAM
OS + Case
HDD + Card Reader
CPU + MOBO

$989~
$1074~ w/tax & shipping

Revised Build:

DVD Burner
Video Card
PSU
RAM
OS + Case
HDD + Card Reader
CPU
MOBO

$1034~
$1123~ w/tax & shipping

I'd recommend this set-up:

i5 750-$185 free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215&cm_re=i5_750-_-19-115-215-_-Product

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3- $139.99+$2.99 shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128412

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3- $54.99 free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700w- $79.99 free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018&cm_re=ocz_modular-_-17-341-018-_-Product

XFX 6850 -$199.99+$4.99 Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150505&cm_re=xfx_6850-_-14-150-505-_-Product

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - $89.99 Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533&cm_re=wd_black-_-22-136-533-_-Product

Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R - $19.99 Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039

COOLER MASTER HAF 922 - $89.98+$9.99 Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119197&cm_re=haf_922-_-11-119-197-_-Product

Total- $877.89
And if you crossfire which would be beast - $1082.87

This also leaves you room to buy a cpu cooler of you're choice, and or w/e else you may also want, gaming mouse/keyboard. If I added wrong I'm sorry I'm half asleep.

ramonsterns said:
Hey guys,

After talking to Relic and reviewing your suggestions and builds I went back and put something together. After having cancelled the last order, I'm in no hurry to buy a new computer, so feel free to let me know if you could improve on it or if I got it completely wrong.

New Build:

DVD Burner
Video Card
PSU
RAM
OS + Case
HDD + Card Reader
CPU + MOBO

$989~
$1074~ w/tax & shipping
I'd advise getting a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HDD and a 550W+ 80 Plus Silver or Gold certified PSU (the Kingwin LZG-700 is a great one), as well as a cheaper card reader (like this one) and this burner. Also, why spend more for that MSI GTX 460 (over cheaper GTX 460s)? Is it because you're concerned about the card overheating?

Everything else looks alright to me.

This also leaves you room to buy a cpu cooler of you're choice, and or w/e else you may also want, gaming mouse/keyboard. If I added wrong I'm sorry I'm half asleep.
A bit iffy about that Radeon, I've always heard they have driver problems and that the price isn't worth the headache.

I'm still wondering if the MOBO is a good idea to save money or if I should shell out for it now and have a space open in case I can do Sli.

I'd advise getting a Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HDD and a 550W+ 80 Plus Silver or Gold certified PSU (the Kingwin LZG-700 is a great one), as well as a cheaper card reader (like this one) and this burner. Also, why spend more for that MSI GTX 460 (over cheaper GTX 460s)? Is it because you're concerned about the card overheating?

Everything else looks alright to me.

A few things:

1) What's wrong with the HDD?
2) The card reader ends up being cheap when in combo with the HDD.
3) What's wrong with the Burner?
4) I trust MSi and this 460 touted better specs.

Back