New power supply, no hard disk detected on boot?

Hi.

Ok, I bought a new power supply, because my old one was too damn loud. I hooked it up to my PC, turned it on, everything is looking fine, start up detects my DVD drive, 2 hard disks.. then I get the message "BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK".

Now I've seen some other people talk about going into BIOS and changing the start up to the HDD and not the CD.. well I've done that and it doesn't help. If I let windows load up and it asks me to which partition I wish to install windows, no partition is present. It's as if after the initial start up the drives arn't being found.

I plugged my old (but loud) PSU back in, connected up all the cables, and it works perfectly.

Why does the new PSU not detect my HDD's after the first BIOS screen start up? Any ideas? :)

Are you certain you correctly connected everything?

The PSU makes absolutely no difference to your boot order, it just supplies power to everything with a connection. Try a different connector in the hard disk, and try it again.

Its possible the PSU is faulty (it happens), and there is no power when they should be.

Back