New Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfull

Hi,
I just bought me a 6600GT card but due to my poor standard dell 250W PSU it is causing my monitor to turn off all the time (Typing this with my old geforce 5200)

www.overclock.co.uk is the site I want to buy the PSU from (Got my 6600GT from there for £100.)

Can anyone suggest some good reliable brands for PSU and also one's that are in a good price range. (£50-60) Not sure what that is in dollars guys, about 100?

Also, does the PSU have to be compatible wtih my motherboard or anything else? If it does how can I find out whether it would be compatible or not?

Cheers,

Well some good brands of PSUs are, Antec, Enermax, and OCZ. There are loads more, but i cant think of more ATM. But here is an example of a decent PSU that fits your price range

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18329

And they are compatable for the most part. THere are ATX and ATX 2.0 the only real difference is the number of pins on the p1 (main power) connector. But you can get and adapter for 5 bucks or so. But with a dell, you might have to take an extra step of precaution. I would take out the PSU and measure it, and then compare it to a PSU, before you order, to make sure it iwll fit. Im sure it will, but you never know.

Mindfull said:
How can I tell what type of ATX I have?

Is this a good PSU? (I noticed the brand isn't one you listed).

To Tell what version of ATX you have, simply count the number of pins on you p1 (main) connector. 20=ATX 24=ATX 2.0 My guess is it will be standrad 20 pin ATX. No worries, they make adapters (like i said before)

That PSU you listed is an average brand, but does not have the power needed for a 6600GT. Try one like this http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18329

I am a big beleiver in good PSUs. Get a cheap one, and you will regret it.

I may have a similar problem...
I want to upgrade my FX 5200 to an MSI 6600GT and noticed on the MSI website that it recomends a "Power supply of 350 (and up) watt is highly recommended for system stability", my power supply is only a generic Auriga 300 Watts.
Will my power supply cope with the 6600GT?
(Note: my PC has very few mods and fans and other stuff that would drain power)

thanks

That 300 watt PSU will not support that. Your CPU RAM HDs every uses power. ITs not just things like fans. I would defiantly up the wattage.

thanks, I'll get a new PSU when I get the card.
is it better to go with a quaility brand or higher wattage?
i've found 500W generic (ClipperPro, Auriga) PSUs much cheaper than good 400-450W Antecs.

thanks again for the warning

just a quick thanks for the help, I went with an Antec 480W PSU which should do me for a while...
but now i need a new case to fit all the cables in...
there is a picture on my website (dav.20m.com/pics/inside.jpg)

thanks again

Great.... I want one but with my dell I'll probably have problems with storing all the cables. Damn it!

What can I do?

I had to really squash the cables in and made sure that they were not stopping the CPU fan (like they were doing for a while), empty 5.25" bays are a good place to try and put the cables in.
I also got a case fan to help keep everying cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back