New RAM Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an eMachine T2642 around my house. Its a few years old, but still worked fine so I bought more RAM for it [pqi DDR-266 PC2100 512mb] I know its supported and the maximum RAM for each slot is 1 gig. When ever I start the PC with the new RAM in the BIOS recognizes it but when it gets to where the windows loading screen should be the monitor kicks off, the computer stays on and when I turn the computer off and restart it gives me the boot options menu and every time I try to start Windows safe mode or normally the monitor turns off. I have tried it with just the 512 stick by itself and the same happens I've also switched the slot it was in. It only boots with the original 256 stick in. Can anyone help me I would like to have a spare computer.

Never mind I just had to reload the BIOS now its working great. Thanks to anyone who might have been trying.

I'm sorry I wrote that just as I saw the windows loading screen right after that the monitor kicked off again. can anyone help?

1. Read the FAQs in the CPU forum about E-crap machines.
2. Read the installing ram guide in the guides forum.
3. If you suspect bad ram, run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or CD rom. Run for at least 7 passes. If you get any errors, the RAM is bad.

Thanks Ted, but nothing helped when I ran memtest as soon as it started loading the monitor turned off just like it does when I try loading windows. Is this the onboard video crashing because of the new ram or is the ram messed up?

I would think the RAM is defective? Just my guess, sicne that is so strange it doesnt want to load the desktop. Are you sure its pc2100, I also had a Emachiens t2642 and I salvaged the system after the motherboard died and its pc2700 ram, I dont know if that would do it or not. Hope this helps

Well I hope it's just defective RAM I'll send it back tomorrow. I'm sure its pc2100 though because thats what the 256mb stick is that it came with and it works fine. What I was wondering is why if I have both stick in if one was defective why it still couldn't boot using the other good stick.

That's because during the POST checks are made on all the RAM sticks in the system. If even one fails the test, the system doesn't POST. It's a feature of most modern mobos that helps in troubleshooting RAM problems.

Oh, ok thanks. I just tried to boot it up with that RAM one more time before I sent it back and I noticed on the BIOS check at the beginning it only sees 503mb of RAM so its probably just a bad stick huh?

Jash said:
Thanks Ted, but nothing helped when I ran memtest as soon as it started loading the monitor turned off just like it does when I try loading windows. Is this the onboard video crashing because of the new ram or is the ram messed up?
then your psu is shot.

I would swap it out of there quickly because if it blows out for good, since it is an Emachines system there is a high risk that the motherboard may also go with it.

Is an Idot sort of like a mowron?

GeekieNick101 said:
I would swap it out of there quickly because if it blows out for good, since it is an Emachines system there is a high risk that the motherboard may also go with it.
I don't want to miss any subtleties. Are you miss-spelling "*****" on purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back