New system (Abit KR7A-Raid) problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaplndave

New system problems??!!

Just put together my third system since last March. This one has me baffled. This is what I have to begin with:

Abit KR7A-RAID motherboard
AMD 1 GHz Thunderbird
256MB Micron PC2400 CAS2 DDR
IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60GB HDD
3.5" floppy
TDK 16x10x40 CD-RW
VisionTek GeForce3 Ti200 graphics
Viewsonic P95f monitor

Starting out with this bare bones system to try to get it up and running. After hooking up the keyboard, mouse, and monitor and starting it up, the fans spin, but I get no signal to the monitor and they I get a slow Beep.....Beep.....Beep Sounds almost like it is coming from the CD-RW, but not sure. Regardless, I can't seem to get the thing up and running...any ideas??????

Please help if you can. I'm open to anything right now.

The beep are generally system error beeps. Check your manal or the manufacturer's website for beep error codes. This will help you find out what it is wrong.

If the system will not turn on aside from the fans (No drives spin up), then it is either memory, motherboard or CPU problems.

Required Hardware is missing......

ABIT mobo's usualy use the long repeating beep to indicate that
some required piece of hardware is missing/no functioning.
Remove and re-seat the memory sticks, then for good measure
make sure that your video card is all the way in as well.

beep codes

Originally posted by chaplndave
I get no signal to the monitor and they I get a slow Beep.....Beep.....Beep .

Award BIOS beep code:
a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display
any additional information.

This beep code consists of a single long beep followed by two short beeps.
Any other beeps are probably a RAM problems.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm
  • 1long, 2 short Video adapter error Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly.
    Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.
  • Repeating (endless loop) Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.
  • 1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.
  • High frequency beeps while running Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation.
    Check the case for proper air flow.
  • Repeating High/Low CPU Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged.

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/abitkr7a/page4.asp

We did have some strange issues while testing with this board. Originally we ran the numbers with a run of the mill GeForce3, but then we switched over to the Ti500. For such a simple replacement, the transition was rough. For some unapparent reason the board would work with the GeForce3, but not with the Ti500. After some poking around and head scratching, we were still stumped. Then when we decided to take the system back to the utmost basics – video card and RAM. We finally got a signal and booted up. We then reconnected each of the drives one by one - the culprit was the floppy connector. Oddly enough this error only registered when we put the Ti500 in, with the GeForce3 the board was as happy as could be. Interestingly enough, the same issue crept up when we changed CPUs. We’re pretty sure an error like this isn’t in every board, but we have to mention it.

Worth checking out.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. They will come in handy in the future I am sure.

I identified the CPU and got it up and running, but was having problems with JPEG images. In frustration, I finally swapped a 1GHz AMD T'bird in my old system with the processor in my new system. When I fired up the old system I got the same JPEG and sound problems (colored criss-crossed lines that make JPEG image unintelligible and horrible sound distortion on start up and shut down).

I did a search and found that AMD has admitted to a very rare JPEG bug that renders JPEG and some MPEG unusable and also mentions the sound problems. They state that only one in 5,000-10,000 get by...wouldn't you know that I would be that one in 5,000 to 10,000!!!!!! Anyway, I now have a RMA # for testing and if AMD finds the problem they will replace my processor.

Anyone think that AMD would send me one of the newer AMD XP1600+ or XP1700+ processors if I offered to send them the difference between the 1GHz AHYHA and the newer processor? I do plan to ask. Should be interesting. they can't have too many more of the older 1GHz chips with 266fsb can they? I mean, they are really pushing the new XP models. Oh well, let's find out....

you are sure one lucky guy, aren't you?...
it's time like this when i wish i could choose when to use my limited supply of luck :p

Thought I would update any folks who frequent this particular thread. AMD sent back an AMD 1.133GHZ Thunderbird in replacement of the 1GHz...guess they found the JPEG problem.

Anyone know if the 1.133GHz with AXIS steppings is a good one to try to overclock?

Overclockers.com have a CPU database with a list of all CPUs and their steppings and reported overclocks. Lots of 1.4Ghz overclocks with air cooling.
Highest air cooled is reported to be 1.540Ghz with water cooling on the AXIA stepping. Many other overclocking sites have similar databases. Worth a look ;)

Also, check any jumpers or dip switches if there are any, my board (giga-byte) has both and just one set wrong gives me some headaches. Also what channel on the board are you trying to put the hard drive. This board is ATA 133 capable and it is my understanding that if you are trying to put an ATA 100 drive on an ATA 133 channel it wont work.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back