New system won't boot (Power problem?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I built a compouter today with the specs listed below. The problem is that when I hit the power switch, the fans/lights momentarily move/light up before stopping again. Has anyone else had these symptoms and any ideas on how to fix it? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and the led light on the motherboard is constantly on whenever the power is connected.

AMD64 3000+ (socket 939)
Asus A8N-E Motherboard
2x512mb Kingston DDR400 ram
Seagate Barracuda 160 gb
Radeon X700 Pro (Pci express)
Aspire X-cruiser w/ 450 watt quality powersupply
2 optical drives

Things you might want to check

1)Processor seated propery
2)RAM seated properly
3)If you have a floppy drive make sure the power cable is plugged in properly, disconnect it to see if its the problem, happened to me several times.
4)Make sure all jumpers are correct and make sure any front panel cables are plugged in right
5)Make sure all motherboard power connections are connected.

If you still can't power on then disconnect all hard drives, pci cards, dvd/cd drives, floppy, and try powering on with just your motherboard and video card.

try doing this
get ur self a multimeter...
open the cabinet and get hold of any 4 pin connector (one which used to connect the CD drive (Yellow-Black-Black-Red)..
get the multimeter and place its red pin in the yellow wire socket and the other one in the black one (any of the two) set the multimeter to test the volts (DC Volts)
if the voltage = around 12 volts, the power supply id all well...
also u can test the complete motherboards supply make sure that the black wire of the multimeter in the black socket and the red one in any other color wire socket... the voltages can be 3.3; 12.0; 5.0.. i know tht this is pretty confusing.. i'll soon tryt o send u a few pics for the same....

ok. wait a sec.. you said you hit the power it turns on for a second or 2 right....

if that is the case it sounds to me like your Clear CMOS jumper setting is set to clear.

Most motherboards do that. it will not run in the CLEAR CMOS setting.

Thanks for the help guys...but I just mounted the motherboard wrong and it was shorting out when I tried to power up. I hadn't suspended it properly in the case and the whole motherboard was conducting electricity...oh well, you learn from building your first computer. Thanks for the input though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back