New Thermaltake CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincranky

Thermaltake has just released a new 120mm circular "flower" type cooler; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106103
It's in the same vein as the Zalman 7700s and TT Blue Orb type cooler. But it has heatpipes. Right now I am using a Coolermaster Hyper L6. It is a heatpipe system, but the radiator fins all point in the same direction. Consequently it doesn't distribute air toward all the thermal zones and ICH the way I would like. Also with the new Intel "Quiet Technology" the BIOS never bothers to spin the fan (PWM control) faster than 600 RPM. The new TT cooler is so new it doesn't have but one review, although that's a 5 egger.
This is an intel DG965WH board (ATX)
An Antec 3800 "solution series" Mid-Tower case (w/ side air duct)
Celeron 356 (Cedar Mill 3.33GHz)

I don't actually have a heating problem, per se, But I think I could do better.

The new TT cooler has the standard Intel push clips, but I actually like them , they haven't given me any trouble whatsoever yet.

Take a look at the new cooler, and tell me what you think, please.

Its looks nice actually. I'd recommend this one for those with side panel ducts to quickly get heat out of your case and the zalmans for those who have the back exhaust like myself. Good find here, thx for posting

Why would you ever bother getting a CPU heatsink that isnt made of copper?
I can only think of weight being the only issue, but the thermal properties copper are so much better than aluminum that i would defiantly pay the extra price for copper

My aluminium heatsink weighs in over 800grams.

You'll have to look at the size of the thing, bigger's better than pure copper.

Bear in mind that the maximum recommended heatsink weight is 500g.

If You Can Believe Them.....

Thermaltake is claiming 465 grams on this particular cooler.

This is theoretical (only because I personally can't prove it), but copper transports heat faster than aluminum. Aluminum is better at transferring it to air. When I first read this, I said to myself holy #$%^, that must be why they've been putting aluminum radiators in Corvettes all these years! (As well as weight, I suppose).
The weight issue is one that has made me suspicious of the Zalman 95 & 9700 series. Not because they're so heavy, but because the center of mass is so far from the board. You know, leverage, big time. They seem to work very well so I put that in as a silly superstition. As Supersmash points out above, they are the best idea for the "wind tunnel" (no side air duct) type of case.

The only thing slowing me down from grabbing the new TT is that the northbridge on my board is close to the processor and is also very high. The measurements on the engineering drawings at TT's web site are unreadable. Well, the english sucks too, come to think of it. I wish that this was a Zalman cooler we were talking about, they're the best when it comes to specs and compatibility statements.

Aluminium is better at transferring it to air? I've read something like that as well, but at the size of these heatsinks these days, copper will still be better than aluminum, as the difference in temperatures will cause more heat to be carried away, than just more efficient transfer.

However, this is negated if you're using heatpipes.

Or just make it in such a way that the fins are aluminum (copper core heatsinks, sound familliar?)

Having a huge heatsink comes with quite abit of risk, but its mainly from transport. Even then, my heatsink, with its fan probably weighs almost 1kg (over 800g just for the heatsink), and I've been transporting it everywhere without a problem. I take good care that minimal forces are in effect during transport (ie, lying it on its side).

CMH said:
However, this is negated if you're using heatpipes.

Or just make it in such a way that the fins are aluminum (copper core heatsinks, sound familliar?)

Having a huge heatsink comes with quite abit of risk, but its mainly from transport. Even then, my heatsink, with its fan probably weighs almost 1kg (over 800g just for the heatsink), and I've been transporting it everywhere without a problem. I take good care that minimal forces are in effect during transport (ie, lying it on its side).

Heatpipes and copper core? Oddly, both sound quite familiar.

About the transport thing; Discretion is always the better part of valor.

Well, I like having my temps below stock, even on an overclock :D. And I like having a quiet case, without a couple of tornadoes fighting in it.

Alminuim DOES NOT TRANSFER THE HEAT BETTER TO AIR THAN COPPER

In a electronical heatsink situation, the amount of heat that can be transfer to the air is mostly dependant on the surface area of the heat sink (More fins = More surface area = heat transfer to air better)

there are experiments that prove this but i dont want to make my post too long.

the table i have attached shows the different thermal properties of AL and CU,
THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY: is how fast heat is transfered within the metal (bigger = better, because heat is transfered to fins faster, taking heat away from CPU faster)
VOLUMETRIC HEAT CAPACITY: how much energy is needed to rise the temp up by one degree kelvin (bigger = better, MORE heat energy is absorbed (think small bucket, compare with big bucket))

hope this clears up any missunderstanding

I've read it, but personally, I have to say it doesn't make sense for aluminum to transfer heat better than copper, but given that I'm not sure about that, I said I've read something like it. There might be some truth in it...

But I might not agree with your take on the volumetric heat capacity, given that the speed heat is lost to the air is dependent on the temperature gradient, it might be good to have something with small volumetric heat capacity.... heats up the metal faster = faster loss of heat.

But then again, that would mean that you have to have a higher temp.... which is bad.

I'm confusing myself, I've got too much to drink.

I humbly offer this link......

This is a link to a photo essay on 2 computer builds this person is justifiably proud of. Since he documents an air cooled as well as a water cooled build, it does loosely fit into this thread. http://www.pbase.com/digifan/computers

I'm working on my rebuttal now, "Finned Plywood"! <way kidding on that one.

Or maybe, "Thermal properties of finned plywood and it's application to CPU heatsinks". This would give it the nomenclature of validity if nothing else. <way, way kidding.

Seriously though, check out the pretty pictures!

On a different note, I'd prefer not to buy a HSF with a proprietary fan. Where do you find a replacement if it gets noisy or fails? How do you upgrade it? At least with a standard fan you can opt for either greater air flow or quieter operation.

Thats one way to look at it.

But even if it comes with its own fan, sometimes you can still remove that fan and put one of your own in.

And even if its not designed to be removed, you can still remove it, and put one of your own. Its been done on the Zalman 9500. Requires you to be a little handy though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back