NEWBIE Question - Ping rate in UT2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm blasting this guy in Unreal T 2003 again and again and he gets all indignant. "Your ping rate is too high!"

Being a non-techy and wanting to play fair I stop and ask him what that means and what I should do to correct it. I get abuse and flames but no clear answer so I finished the game,whupped him good and checked out .

So what does that mean and is there something I should do about it? Did I win fair and square or did I have some advantage?

Cable Modem, AMD 1000, Radeon 7200 (64Megs).

:confused: in Toronto

If you have cable, it's his connection that is causing the lag. Next time this happens to you, start flaming him :cool: because you have cable and his sorry ... probably has AOL!! No mercy for the bandwidth impaired! Amen LNCPapa!

If the game was choppy than yeah you do have an advantage. Please cite above statement :D

A ping is when your computer sends out a packet to another computer and then waits to get a returned packet.

Its used primarily as a diagnostic tool, and to determine in rough terms how quick a connection between two computers is.

In this case, you had a low ping between yourself and the game server. Therefore you had a good connection speed.

This guy you were playing against was basically saying that your quick connection to the server was what accounted for your good performance. Its the sort of thing that generally people like to flame eachother with during on-line matches when they are bad loosers.

Don't worry about it.

Originally posted by KDB77
So I'm blasting this guy in Unreal T 2003 again and again and he gets all indignant. "Your ping rate is too high!"

Hang on...
Are we getting confused??
He says to you "Your ping rate is too high!" ???

If thats the case then surely the other players would be at the advantage??
And you still whipped his butt??? Nice one!!!
:p

Rusty I think that whoever was saying this to KDB77 was basically a ***** and didn't understand this.

I was getting confused as well from the backwards twisting ping rate answers.

KDB77 said that he got accused of a high ping rate, that is bad.

But everyone said he had a low one. I'm sure he had a low one, just got confused, well it confused me too :confused:

Just to clarify for anyone reading this, a LOW PING RATE means a faster connection, and vice versa.

Okay guys - with my years of internet gaming providing me with unmatched wisdom (hehe :) ) I know the reason why someone might say that another player with a high ping is a bad thing or has an advantage. Most games perform prediction routines while you play and that information can be sent out before the real data is gathered. Someone with a high ping might seem kind of skippy or choppy and make it very hard to hit them with instantaneous projectiles (no slug.) This type of behavior can be forced on somes games - such as with Quake 3 you can use the Timenudge function to do it. The best scenario is if both players have low pings and no one is nudging.

LNCPapa

Ahhh... All is becoming clear now...

They say he's got a high ping rate, when he really has a low ping rate, although he thinks he's got a high ping rate, and they think he's got a low ping rate, but with a low ping rate that they think he hasn't got they ridicule him...

Errm. hang on...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks all. I think I've got it!

If I want to be polite, I'll keep an eye on my ping rate and see that it is in roughly the same order of magnitude as my co-players. If it is much higher I may be hard to see or hit for the others. If it is much lower I have a faster connection which may help me win (or alternatively may not help if the others are too skippy for me to hit.) ANyway, I don't feel totally ignorant any longer and I really appreciate the comments from all of you.
One small inital step on my path to gaming guruhood!

KDB77

Glad we could help. Sometimes it is hard hearing things for the first time, and not knowing where to go with them.

Just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question.

If your on cable then I would think your ping would be low due to the fast connection, unless your connecting to a server on the otherside of the planet and the ping would be higher.
Basically the lower the ping the better. Although the worst scenario that I sometimes experience in Counterstrike is a player with a very low ping (30) vs. a player in (300). I have been killed by such high ping players without seeing them pop out from behind cover to take the shot. This can be a bad thing for both players and not just the high ping player, also the skippy/jumpy appearence of the high ping player can make things awkward also. In Half life people speculate that low ping players bullets register first with the server so they have that advantage in a fire fight...

Originally posted by Arris
If your on cable then I would think your ping would be low due to the fast connection, unless your connecting to a server on the otherside of the planet and the ping would be higher.
Basically the lower the ping the better. Although the worst scenario that I sometimes experience in Counterstrike is a player with a very low ping (30) vs. a player in (300). I have been killed by such high ping players without seeing them pop out from behind cover to take the shot. This can be a bad thing for both players and not just the high ping player, also the skippy/jumpy appearence of the high ping player can make things awkward also. In Half life people speculate that low ping players bullets register first with the server so they have that advantage in a fire fight...

agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back