Nintendo Switch retail shortage is leading to exorbitant third-party pricing

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Toilet paper and hand sanitizer aren’t the only commodities in short supply as of late. Nintendo’s handheld Switch is also proving difficult to find in stock as more people are turning to gaming as a source of entertainment during shelter in place orders (and to play the new Animal Crossing).

A quick survey of some of the top retailers around including Target, Best Buy, Walmart, GameStop and Amazon shows zero local and online availability for new, non-bundle versions of the Nintendo Switch. On eBay, the most recent completed listings for new Switches have gone for a minimum of $399.

Nintendo in a statement last week acknowledged that Switch hardware was selling out at various retail locations in the US but promised that more systems are on the way.

New Switch bundles are available from third-parties on sites like Amazon and Walmart, so long as you’re prepared to pay a significant markup. The cheapest example on Amazon right now, for example, is north of $460, well above the $299 MSRP.

You may have a better chance of finding the handheld-only Nintendo Switch Lite. This system, launched late last year, is showing up as in stock locally for me although your mileage may vary.

Masthead credit: Wachiwit

Permalink to story.

Nah, it's just people stuck at home and they want Nintendo's Switch hotness.
Breathe of the Wild, is the BEST game available on the market, for any console, period.
It is absolutely gold.
I've got 15 hearts, 3 divine beasts, just got the Sword in the Lost Woods, and I feel like I just begun playing, its SOOOOOO good.

Breathe of the Wild, is the BEST game available on the market, for any console, period.
It is absolutely gold.
I've got 15 hearts, 3 divine beasts, just got the Sword in the Lost Woods, and I feel like I just begun playing, its SOOOOOO good.

IMO the best part of that game is the master sword challenge you can do after obtaining the sword in the forest (if you have the DLC).

Glad I purchased my older model before the world went to crap lol. I paid $350 for my exploitable model - worth EVERY penny.

It is absolutely gold.

It's a decent game and I enjoyed it very much, but I wouldn't call it the best game console game.ever.

Glad I purchased my older model before the world went to crap lol. I paid $350 for my exploitable model - worth EVERY penny.

I payed $250 Australian dollars for a used model that came with Octopath, Mario Odyssey, & Breath of The Wild. Immaculate condition and works perfectly.

Definitely worth the price.

I seem to remember Amazon shutting down suppliers who charged exorbitant prices on other items during the Chinese coronavirus pandemic response. With the new crouch-in-place orders moved to 30 April, do you wonder if game consoles will become 'essential'?

It is absolutely gold.

I continue to find it very interesting there are those that sing such high praise for the game. It is the first LoZ game that I am actually genuinely disappointed in with exception to the dumpster fire versions on the CD-I. IT is pretty much just a reskinned version of the same fodder you can find in other open world games the last 5-10 years. Too many annoying things about it too; weapons that break when you sneeze, requirements to cook recipes, etc that are just serious time sucks. I am glad that you are enjoying it as much as you are however unfortunately for me it was a poor purchase. I am not selling my copy strictly for collecting purposes.

It is absolutely gold.
That's a bold claim, tho I will say BOW is my favorite switch game. I can play it over and over and never get board of it. I'd buy a switch just for that game alone...

I continue to find it very interesting there are those that sing such high praise for the game. It is the first LoZ game that I am actually genuinely disappointed in with exception to the dumpster fire versions on the CD-I. IT is pretty much just a reskinned version of the same fodder you can find in other open world games the last 5-10 years. Too many annoying things about it too; weapons that break when you sneeze, requirements to cook recipes, etc that are just serious time sucks. I am glad that you are enjoying it as much as you are however unfortunately for me it was a poor purchase. I am not selling my copy strictly for collecting purposes.

I completely agree. I put about 30 hours into the game that were absolute boredom thinking it would get better and I eventually just gave up. The world is so bland. The types of enemies are extremely limited and the NPC's are even more bland and lifeless. There's literally not a more boring open world I have ever come across. The super weird decision to make your gear break after five hits and the super basic fighting mechanics, I will never understand how anyone can think this game is fun? I hugely regret paying $60, but even if I paid $20 I would not have been happy.

I continue to find it very interesting there are those that sing such high praise for the game. It is the first LoZ game that I am actually genuinely disappointed in with exception to the dumpster fire versions on the CD-I.
I can't agree with that. I found Majoras Mask(irritatingly unplayable) and the two DS entries(irritating touchscreen controls) far less appealing. Then there was Zelda2, a sidescroll platformer with a dash of RPG elements. It was a good game but was still very disappointing after the awesome of the first.
weapons that break when you sneeze
On this we agree, very annoying, especially when it happens in the middle of a battle.
I will never understand how anyone can think this game is fun? I hugely regret paying $60, but even if I paid $20 I would not have been happy.
There's a saying the rings true here for you both: You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

When the rest of the world sings it's praise, you have to accept that you are in a minority.

When the rest of the world sings it's praise, you have to accept that you are in a minority.

I think what is more likely is that this game mostly appeals to casual gamers coming from phone and Facebook games that are looking for a simple to play game that isn't confusing. Look at the majority of popular games on the Switch, they are mostly simple and old school platformers and rpg's.

It is perfectly fine if that is what people are after, but it is also okay for me to go on here and let people know what kind of experience the game offers. It might save someone some money.

I think what is more likely is that this game mostly appeals to casual gamers coming from phone and Facebook games that are looking for a simple to play game that isn't confusing.
That would an assumption on your part. I have played every Zelda game to date, even a few that were Japan exclusives, and I can say with full confidence that BOTW is an excellent entry in the series. I am anything but a casual or "confused" gamer and am far from alone in that position.
Look at the majority of popular games on the Switch, they are mostly simple and old school platformers and rpg's.
As a life-long gamer who has owned almost every major system released, I have to disagree. Most of the titles on the Nintendo Switch are high quality and very enjoyable. You seem to be reacting with your pride instead of accepting objective criticism to your criticism.

That would an assumption on your part. I have played every Zelda game to date, even a few that were Japan exclusives, and I can say with full confidence that BOTW is an excellent entry in the series. I am anything but a casual or "confused" gamer and am far from alone in that position.

As a life-long gamer who has owned almost every major system released, I have to disagree. Most of the titles on the Nintendo Switch are high quality and very enjoyable. You seem to be reacting with your pride instead of accepting objective criticism to your criticism.

No, really, the Switch clear as day is mostly full of casual games. Tons are just full on remakes or rehashing decades old games that are were simple back then due to hardware limitations that no longer exist today. It's straight up a casual gaming system. I don't see what is wrong with acknowledging it. If someone here has an issue with their pride.... well.

I really don't see how anyone can claim that BotW is some kind of deep game. The combat and world are a basic as can be. If I had kids I would see it as a great game to get them playing games when they are too young for a deeper experience. Nothing wrong with that, don't take it personal. I know a lot of adults that are still into cartoons/anime. That is fine and doesn't need people getting defensive over.

Back