Nintendo's next console looks set for release in late 2024

midian182

Staff member
In brief: We've heard lots of speculation and rumors about Nintendo's next console. According to a new report, fans will be waiting a while before it arrives: late 2024. Whether it will be a Switch 2, a Switch Pro, or something else remains unknown.

The Nintendo Switch has been a phenomenal success since it launched in 2017. In less than six years, it has sold over 122 million units, making it the third-best-selling console ever. Talk of a successor has increased recently, and the latest claim comes from a report by Ampere Analysis.

The report focuses on consumer spending within the video games industry and examines unit sales of each major console. It also contains a brief reference to a new Nintendo console that's set to launch toward the end of 2024.

Last month brought more news of a potential Switch successor from an unlikely source. The UK government's Microsoft Activision acquisition files briefly mentioned the Nintendo Switch Online (NSO) subscription, which offers retro games and Game Boy titles. It states that NSO is only available on the Nintendo Switch and another device, the name of which is redacted in the report. Many believe this unnamed machine is a future Nintendo console.

Speaking on The Digital Foundry Direct Weekly podcast in December, John Linneman said a Switch Pro was planned by Nintendo but canceled, partly due to fears of it becoming another Wii U situation - I.e., following a successful console with a total flop. He does believe, however, that a next-generation Switch 2 (or whatever it'll be called), possibly packing Nvidia's Tegra T239 SoC, DLSS, and more features, will arrive after 2023.

All of this is still unconfirmed, of course; one claim is that an upgraded Nintendo Switch will arrive as soon as this winter.

Ampere Analysis' report also reveals that global console spending was down 7.8% year-on-year in 2022 to $56.2 billion, while game revenue was down 9.3% to $32.6 billion. It was a good year for Sony, which took a majority 45% market share for all money spent on console games, hardware, and services, helped by the PlayStation 5 reaching an install base of 30 million. The Xbox Series X/S, meanwhile, is estimated to have lifetime sales of 18.5 million.

Permalink to story.

While they do need an updated handheld. They also need a real console with decent specs. Not a glorified tablet dock.

I dont really agree. I play switch games just fine on a 77” TV today. Do I wish it were a console? Yes. Does it bother me its docked? Not really. Do I use it in handheld mode? No

Backwards compatibility is a must IMO. Otherwise Im likely skipping it all together

I dont really agree. I play switch games on a 77” TV. Do I wish it were a console? Yes. Do I use it in handheld mode? No
Don't agree with what exactly? You just said you wished it were a console.

The switch is cool but it's just the new Gameboy and the dock is the little adapter we used to be able to hook up to our N64 controllers to play our Gameboy games on a TV.

Don't agree with what exactly? You just said you wished it were a console.

The switch is cool but it's just the new Gameboy and the dock is the little adapter we used to be able to hook up to our N64 controllers to play our Gameboy games on a TV.
Why would I want to buy two separate consoles and split my games up on two separate consoles? It's not like a new Nintendo console is going to have the hardware eyo run raytracing on each of Mario's moustache hairs.

It would be a great time to release steam deck 2 then, and pressure Nintendo to actually create a handheld with modern features like simple vod players and similar - or kick them out of the market.
It is madness that in this age I need to have a switch to play games, and tablet to watch a movie... Or actually not thanks to steam, but still would like to see any effort on that competition...

Why would I want to buy two separate consoles and split my games up on two separate consoles? It's not like a new Nintendo console is going to have the hardware eyo run raytracing on each of Mario's moustache hairs.
Why would you be splitting games up? Maybe if you bought physical games but I don't think a little reader slot would be a big deal to add. They'd be on your Nintendo account otherwise if bought digital.

If they made console specific games I don't see why a dedicated console couldn't run both switch and its own console games. If they want to do a dual console title they can just do what everyone else does when they make a game for the Xbox One S and have a PC port with all the bells and whistles. Nintendo has the money to dev for multiple performance targets like Switch Handheld mode, switch docked mode and dedicated console targets like performance or fidelity.

Draw distance, crowd densities and general fidelity could be greatly improved by a dedicated console over a docked tablet.

Plenty of pc gamers bought a steam deck

Why would you split the games or buy two consoles if you use your Switch only docked. You don't need a handheld then

Why would you be splitting games up? Maybe if you bought physical games but I don't think a little reader slot would be a big deal to add. They'd be on your Nintendo account otherwise if bought digital.

If they made console specific games I don't see why a dedicated console couldn't run both switch and its own console games. If they want to do a dual console title they can just do what everyone else does when they make a game for the Xbox One S and have a PC port with all the bells and whistles. Nintendo has the money to dev for multiple performance targets like Switch Handheld mode, switch docked mode and dedicated console targets like performance or fidelity.

Draw distance, crowd densities and general fidelity could be greatly improved by a dedicated console over a docked tablet.

Plenty of pc gamers bought a steam deck
Why would you split the games or buy two consoles if you use your Switch only docked. You don't need a handheld then
Because, shocker, some games will only be made for the handheld! Like star fox command, or the newer chibi robos!

It's hard to get, I know, but when there is only one console, everything they make gets released on that console.

Because, shocker, some games will only be made for the handheld! Like star fox command, or the newer chibi robos!

It's hard to get, I know, but when there is only one console, everything they make gets released on that console.
I don't think you even read what I wrote. It wasn't that hard to get. Very simple really.

The #1 criterion should be hardware that's designed decently. It's absolutely amazing how the company has managed to sell its defective joysticks to millions.

Back