Nintendo's president says the Switch could be in short supply from next month

midian182

Staff member
In context: The Nintendo Switch hasn’t been impacted by the chip shortage quite as severely as the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S/X, and graphics cards, but the company’s president has warned that could change from next month.

While the latest consoles from Microsoft and Sony remain incredibly difficult to find outside of eBay, where you can expect to pay scalper prices, the Nintendo Switch has fared better throughout most of the global crisis; various models are currently available on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Newegg, etc.

But Nintendo President Shuntaro Furukawa warns that Nintendo Switch devices could soon face the same availability issues as so many other consumer electronic goods. According to Japanese newspaper Kyoto NP, Furukawa said that supply of the Switch may stagnate at the beginning of 2022 due to the chip shortage and the disruption of global logistics.

The Nintendo Switch was the best-selling hardware platform in terms of both units sold and dollars generated in November and 2021 year-to-date. The hybrid has also been the top-selling video game system for 35 out of the previous 36 months. But despite those impressive stats, Nintendo last month lowered its sales forecast for the Switch from 25.5 million to 24 million as a result of the semiconductor shortage.

News of the Switch’s potential availability problems will be a blow to Nintendo fans, especially as the handheld is quickly closing in on the Wii’s 101.63 million lifetime sales. It will doubtlessly beat that number, but it might take a little longer than expected.

If you’re considering purchasing a Switch, perhaps with some Christmas money or vouchers, the wise move would probably be to buy one now before they become difficult to find in stock.

Permalink to story.

Got the kids a Switch Lite for Christmas last year, so they've had them for just over a year now.

Daughter's works like a charm, still.

Son's, he let the battery on his go completely dead after he left it in sleep mode and then didn't touch it for about 2 months (kept telling him to power it off when he's not using it, not leave it in sleep mode). Damn battery won't hold a charge now. I had to hard reset the system to even get it to turn on and then I had to let the thing sit on the charger for almost a full 24 hours before it started charging. Now the battery will charge 100% and as soon as you have it off the charger the battery drains down to nothing in about 2 minutes. $hitty device where the battery is pretty much shot after one complete drain.....

At least he can play his while it's still plugged in, but that means he's tethered to an outlet and can't play it in the car (without a charger) if we go on a long drive somewhere.

Nintendo can keep their trash.

Got the kids a Switch Lite for Christmas last year, so they've had them for just over a year now.

Daughter's works like a charm, still.

Son's, he let the battery on his go completely dead after he left it in sleep mode and then didn't touch it for about 2 months (kept telling him to power it off when he's not using it, not leave it in sleep mode). Damn battery won't hold a charge now. I had to hard reset the system to even get it to turn on and then I had to let the thing sit on the charger for almost a full 24 hours before it started charging. Now the battery will charge 100% and as soon as you have it off the charger the battery drains down to nothing in about 2 minutes. $hitty device where the battery is pretty much shot after one complete drain.....

At least he can play his while it's still plugged in, but that means he's tethered to an outlet and can't play it in the car (without a charger) if we go on a long drive somewhere.

Nintendo can keep their trash.
Ironically the battery in a DS Lite seems to last for years and years. So many stories of it still holding ample charge after sitting in a drawer for like 5 years or longer.
In my case I have a New 3DS that suffered a bloated battery after just 3 years of owning it. Luckily they can be replaced easily by the customer and I found a spare online.

Ironically the battery in a DS Lite seems to last for years and years. So many stories of it still holding ample charge after sitting in a drawer for like 5 years or longer.
In my case I have a New 3DS that suffered a bloated battery after just 3 years of owning it. Luckily they can be replaced easily by the customer and I found a spare online.

Daughter has a 2DS - still worked when she last played it, but that was about 18 months ago. Got it in the original box, but the only thing missing is the stylus, because she used to chew on it and then eventually lost it. I wonder if it'll still hold a charge for not having been used for almost 1.5 years now...?

I kind of miss the days of having a few sets of rechargeable batteries for my GameBoy.

Thank you Techspot for this article and the heads up. I got a Switch OLED last week after reading this article and today the price has now jumped to $400 from $350 and even the regular Switch non-OLED is now $350 from $300. Looks like even the Switch is now truly in short supply

Back