Nintendo's Switch now has more lifetime sales than the GameCube

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: Nintendo's Switch is midway through its second year and sales continue to be incredibly solid. A flurry of highly anticipated games launching in the coming weeks will be crucial to Nintendo being able to hit its goal of selling another 20 million consoles over the next six months.

Nintendo sold another 3.19 million Switch consoles in the most recent quarter, bringing its financial year total (from April to September) to 5.07 million and pushing lifetime sales to 22.86 million.

It represents a new milestone for the Switch as Nintendo’s latest console has now outsold the GameCube. Released in 2001 and sold through 2007, that system generated worldwide sales of 21.74 million units.

Nintendo needed only one year to surpass the Wii U’s lifetime sales. One of Nintendo’s most disappointing consoles, it tallied just 13.56 million units sold across its five-year lifespan.

The Japanese gaming giant anticipates selling another 20 million Switch systems within the next six months. It’s a lofty goal and one that I’m not sure Nintendo will be able to achieve.

Software sales, meanwhile, have totaled 42.13 million in the first six months of the fiscal year. Nintendo is counting on upcoming releases like Diablo III: Eternal Collection, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! and Super Mario Party to help drive another 100 million software sales in the coming half.

Permalink to story.

Not surprising since Nintendo handicapped the Gamecube with those mini discs. If they would have used normal sized DVD's they would have sold a lot more. Games that got ported to it had to be lowered graphically. Even though the system was super powerful. A lot more powerful than the ps2 and neck and neck with the Original Xbox.

Comparing 17 to 11 years ago while having the same 5 games today as it was at that time...pathetic. it is a different time now. 17 years ago half of the households had no device to play games on.
compare it with current competition

I can't see Diablo selling well tbh, not for £50. It's just a port of a 6 year old game, if it was going for £20, sure, probably will sell well. £30, maybe, but £50? Way too much to ask for a 6 year old game.

I can't see Diablo selling well tbh, not for £50. It's just a port of a 6 year old game, if it was going for £20, sure, probably will sell well. £30, maybe, but £50? Way too much to ask for a 6 year old game.

I agree it needs more to stand out at full retail price. If they would have included the "special" limited time diablo 1 stuff from earlier this year on pc and then added onto that with more diablo 1 stuff. I think more people would be interested in picking this up.

Back