Nintendo's upgraded handheld might be called the Super Switch

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Nintendo is widely expected to launch an upgraded version of its Switch handheld later this year. When it arrives, it could be branded in such a way that pays homage to an earlier Nintendo console, the legendary Super NES.

The new handheld, previously referred to in rumors as the Nintendo Switch Pro, might actually hit the market as the Super Switch. Why the Super Switch, you ask?

It’s no secret that Nintendo has a thing for anniversaries. Nintendo celebrated the 35th anniversary of its Super Mario Bros. franchise late last year and a quick check of the calendar confirms that 2021 is the 30th anniversary of the launch of the original Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

The Pro moniker is a bit played out at this point, given the number of smartphones and tablets that currently utilize it. The Super name would be something fresh and a throwback to a classic although really, it probably won’t matter much either way as Nintendo’s handheld platform has been hot ever since the first model launched in early 2017.

Even Nintendo’s retro mini consoles have resonated with gamers. The NES Classic surprised everyone and the follow-up, the SNES Classic, was just as coveted. At last check, Nintendo had sold 5.28 million units globally, although that figure hasn’t been updated in nearly three years.

Image courtesy Michael San Diego, Nathy Cella

Permalink to story.

"If it's backwards compatible with switch games"
You joking, right?
Ummmmm....nope, I’m not. In case you haven’t noticed, nintendo’s approach to backwards compatibility is not always consistent. You STILL can’t transfer save games from one switch to another without a subscription, and only recently were purchased no longer tied to hardware. We also have not seen anothe r consumer tetra chip newer then what is in the switch.

There is no guarantee that Nintendo will be able to stick with tegra, will allow users to play digital titles on the new system, ece. Nintendo is only predictable in that they will make a senseless mistake restricting what consumers can do.

Unless they offer a version of the new switch, switch dock, and/or joycons in retro colors, don't bother with "Super", but that's just the jaded, bitter, and nostalgic child in me speaking.

If they don't then it's a missed marketing opportunity.

This does not make any sense. Apart from updating the internals with more efficient or cheaper parts why would Nintendo release a faster Switch?

You'd have the same schizophrenic situation like the ps4 Pro and xbox one x and in the end the OG Switch and its huge install base will suffer from it.

This does not make any sense. Apart from updating the internals with more efficient or cheaper parts why would Nintendo release a faster Switch?

You'd have the same schizophrenic situation like the ps4 Pro and xbox one x and in the end the OG Switch and its huge install base will suffer from it.
The original switch would suffer more if Nintendo came out with an entirely new console. Everyone knows that consoles make most of their money from game sales and making an Xbox one X or a PS4 pro or a super switch allows new hardware for enthusiasts without completely alienating the existing market.

The console industry is in turmoil at the moment. At one end people want new hardware all the time and games to take advantage of it. On the other end you have people who just want to buy a box every 5 or so years that will play all the games that come out. Console manufacturers are trying to look both ways.

All this being said, I’d prefer Nintendo just made a new console and dropped the OG switch. Support for older consoles holds back the development of games on the newer hardware. But I’m an enthusiast PC gamer. I’m not really Nintendo’s target market.

Unless they offer a version of the new switch, switch dock, and/or joycons in retro colors, don't bother with "Super", but that's just the jaded, bitter, and nostalgic child in me speaking.

It's an updated Switch, Like the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, not a new generation. So of course all the switch games would work. It wouldn't even be backwards compatibility.

There's NVIDIA hardware inside, so it was obviously meant to be called Switch SUPER. I guess that Nintendo decided to soften it a bit.

It's an updated Switch, Like the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, not a new generation. So of course all the switch games would work. It wouldn't even be backwards compatibility.
I understand that, I was not inferring any kind of drastic software change like that. I was commenting purely about the external appearance/aesthetic of an updated device named "super" for the sake of the SNES's 30th anniversary. I think you meant to quote Wrinkle's post.

I understand that, I was not inferring any kind of drastic software change like that. I was commenting purely about the external appearance/aesthetic of an updated device named "super" for the sake of the SNES's 30th anniversary. I think you meant to quote Wrinkle's post.
Actually it was supposed to be quoting Theinsanegamer, dunno how that happened.

Actually it was supposed to be quoting Theinsanegamer, dunno how that happened.
s'all good mate. I agree with what you're saying, to be anything more than just a beefier switch wouldn't make much sense... But all these games (current and future) are probably developed and rendered at 1080p, so being able to go to 4k all of a sudden wouldn't really net players anything new except maybe less graphical fidelity unless it has a really, really good scaler built in.

I bet it'll still be severely anemic when it comes to built in system storage though. =)

You, nor anyone else, has any clear idea of what it is (or even if it exists at all). "Analysts" have been predicting a "Switch Pro" for at least 2 year now. Fact is the Switch is still selling rather well for Nintendo and even if a new console is at some point a virtual certainty, there's no guarantee as to what or when that will be.

You, nor anyone else, has any clear idea of what it is (or even if it exists at all). "Analysts" have been predicting a "Switch Pro" for at least 2 year now. Fact is the Switch is still selling rather well for Nintendo and even if a new console is at some point a virtual certainty, there's no guarantee as to what or when that will be.
What we do know is that if they actually do bring out an updated Switch this year, with more powerful hardware, it would be 100% guaranteed to be compatible with regular Switch games. Switch is probably mid gen at this point, although its success could run the generation long. There's no way they'd bring out a new gen console to replace it. Nor a different device that plays different games and competes against it. It's far too soon for that. So if it exists, it will be a Switch Pro/Super Switch/"new" Switch, or what ever name they can come up with.

s'all good mate. I agree with what you're saying, to be anything more than just a beefier switch wouldn't make much sense... But all these games (current and future) are probably developed and rendered at 1080p, so being able to go to 4k all of a sudden wouldn't really net players anything new except maybe less graphical fidelity unless it has a really, really good scaler built in.

I bet it'll still be severely anemic when it comes to built in system storage though. =)
I'd imagine first party games would get updates like BOTW and Sword and Shield. Third party devs probably wouldn't care much for existing games just like with PS4 Pro and XB1X.

Although it is Nintendo. I mean BOTW and Mario Odyssey run at 900p, many games are sub 1080p docked and use DRS. Look at the "new" 3DS. Had a good bit more power but even games that came out along side it and later on ran about the same as the standard machine. the later Pokémon games just seemed to have slightly quicker loading and not much else. Though that could just be the usual sub par programming of Gamefreak.

I hope they call it something else due to the unfortunate abbreviation of 'SS' it will end up with.

In the article they mention the handheld portion of the system will be 7" 720p, if they are offering 4K capabilities it will definitely mean there will be a dock. If I remember correctly and with a grain of salt, it's all rumors at the moment. I've read that it will use Nvidia's DLSS AI upscaling to achieve 4K, which makes perfect sense. This is essentially what I've been waiting for since the initial release of the Nintendo Switch.

Edit: sorry about that I'm cross posting, there is a newer article suggesting this.

Last edited:
Back