No “Sendto Desktop” shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

I created a “Sendto Desktop” shortcut but I get a message when I try to use it: “No CMC mail provider is currently installed.”

Any ideas?

I used the following to create shortcut:

1. Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Explorer or Windows NT Explorer.
2. On the View menu, click Folder Options (or Options). On the View tab, click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types (or Hide MS-DOS file extensions for file types that are registered) check box, and then click OK.
3. In Windows 95/98, navigate to the Windows\SendTo folder, and in Windows NT navigate to the Winnt\Profiles\<username>\SendTo folder, where <username> is the name you use to log on to Windows NT.
4. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Text Document. Type "Desktop as Shortcut.DESKLINK" (without quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
5. Click Yes, and then quit Windows

I have actually had this problem myself. There is a thread about it burried somewhere around here but the page where I got my solution is now gone and I don't remember where it was. I do remember having to use regedit to fix it though. I did find this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q191882 whichseems to be the same as what you tried. I'll keep looking, maybe I kept a copy of the instructions or I may have even greated it as a reg file and put it somewhere in my archives.

In the meantime, you can hold the right mouse button down whil dragging an icon onto the desktop, then release and choose "create as shortcut here"

This answer is way to easy!

When you are in the "users name folder" and the hidden folders are visible, right click on the Desktop folder and drag it into the Send To folder. When you let go, a menu should pop-up select, Create Shortcut(s) Here.

Thanks for your help.

It kind of stinks that you solved your own problem, but at least you got it figured out. Good job and thanks for explaining what you did so others might be able to use this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back