No, AMD isn't discontinuing the Radeon RX 5700 series

onetheycallEric

Staff
Rumor mill: Some speculation has made the rounds recently and gotten a bit out of hand, claiming that AMD was set to discontinue the Radeon RX 5700 series, marking Navi 10 as EOL. AMD has since publicly debunked this with a statement, suggesting that RX 5700 GPUs will be around for the foreseeable future.

“We are continuing to produce the Radeon RX 5700 series graphics cards, which deliver exceptional 1440p gaming experiences. We will continue to respond to market demand," AMD told Tom's Hardware.

While at some point AMD and its partners will be looking to purge retail channels of older inventory in the wake of RDNA 2 GPUs, there's seemingly still a market for the RX 5700 cards.

Read this: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super vs. AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT: 2020 Update

The Radeon 5700 XT and 5700 still offer value-oriented and compelling 1440p gaming performance, and could exist as an affordable option for those not interested in 4K gaming, ray tracing, or paying top dollar for a new GPU.

Later this month, on October 28th, AMD will have more information on its RDNA 2-based RX 6000 series. Meanwhile, Nvidia has pushed back the RTX 3070 launch to October 29th, which should make for an exciting end to October.

Permalink to story.

Meh, I really like the performance of the 5700XT (xfx Thicc III Ultra) but I just can't seem to make the driver stable. Full brand new build (B550, 3600, 16GB 3200MHz RAM) and it blue screens far too regularly and it's always the graphics driver. I've re-built Windows twice, lowered clocks, increased voltages, everything, I just cannot get it stable, certain games seem to cause crashing more than others.

Compared to my Core i7 8700k / 1080Ti build where I've never had a blue screen and it's been fettled with far more (de-lidded, all waterblocked and overclocked) it's a real shame AMD just can't seem to make their platform stable as the performance on tap is quite incredible for the money.

Meh, I really like the performance of the 5700XT (xfx Thicc III Ultra) but I just can't seem to make the driver stable. Full brand new build (B550, 3600, 16GB 3200MHz RAM) and it blue screens far too regularly and it's always the graphics driver. I've re-built Windows twice, lowered clocks, increased voltages, everything, I just cannot get it stable, certain games seem to cause crashing more than others.

Compared to my Core i7 8700k / 1080Ti build where I've never had a blue screen and it's been fettled with far more (de-lidded, all waterblocked and overclocked) it's a real shame AMD just can't seem to make their platform stable as the performance on tap is quite incredible for the money.

Actually, it could be down to your GPU itself being of lower quality make.
Recent articles surfaced saying that OEM's apparently like to construct AMD gpu's with lower quality standards... Asus ended up creating quite a ruckus because they made Navi GPU's whose cooling assemblies didn't have correct pressure resulting in black screens, crashes, etc.
That said, try installing and using Radeon Pro Enterprise drivers. They are built for stability.
If those drivers are crashing too, then its the GPU itself... not to the drivers.

Also make sure you're running most up to date Windows, updated BIOS, etc.
Running Vega 56 here and no issues with stability in regards to Adrenaline drivers.

I have an XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation and I don't have any problems but I did before. The so-called "WHQL" driver from May is VERY unstable. Use the drivers from August or September (and I've heard that FreeSync has been problematic too). I also know that it's important to have the latest chipset drivers (assuming that you're using an AMD platform) which is something that most people don't even think of. Some cool guy from Portugal with a YouTube channel called "Ancient Gameplays" has a video showing how to get rid of these problems:
I did get crashing caused by a game recently as well. In Jedi: Fallen Order, it's such a badly done console port (thanks a pantload EA you bastards!), that when you enable VSync, it forces your card to 30fps. I think that the driver expects VSync to be at 60fps (because that's what PC VSync is). When I realised that VSync in Jedi: Fallen Order was 30fps, I turned it off and have had 100% stability at all resolutions and detail levels.

What did tech support say? Btw, update mobo bios, turn on pic e 3.0 only in the bios. Do not use enhanced sync. Disable hardware acceleration in your browser's and discord or anything that uses it.(most likely culprit) Upping voltage makes it hotter. Monitor temps tj max (hotspot) below 110c is important. I also don't mess with much of anything in radon settings aside ocing

You could delete everything not needed in the radeon driver folder. I used to know how. I'll look it up when I get off work.

Don`t worry, they`ll be around for another five years, they`ll just rebrand them...
I hear you, and I think I know why you say that, but I have a feeling this round will be different (I expect RDNA 2 to expand to mid and low level, eventually). Have no insider info whatsoever, just a hunch :)

I hear you, and I think I know why you say that, but I have a feeling this round will be different (I expect RDNA 2 to expand to mid and low level, eventually). Have no insider info whatsoever, just a hunch :)
What are you talking about RDNA 2 is the high mid range gpu segment, the leaks all show it's competing with a 3070 while it may get close to a 3080 in a few cherry picked scenarios for being much cheaper.

What did tech support say? Btw, update mobo bios, turn on pic e 3.0 only in the bios. Do not use enhanced sync. Disable hardware acceleration in your browser's and discord or anything that uses it.(most likely culprit) Upping voltage makes it hotter. Monitor temps tj max (hotspot) below 110c is important. I also don't mess with much of anything in radon settings aside ocing

You could delete everything not needed in the radeon driver folder. I used to know how. I'll look it up when I get off work.
Considering the level of his other build I am sure he has already tried almost all of that, some people are just having driver issues which you shouldn't have to screw around doing almost any of what you mentioned to make the card work properly it's why every reviewer trashed Navi so bad.

Yeah, I'd be a little surprised if they continue selling the RX 5700 with 256-bit bus, when (with 14gbps ram) they can get nearly identical performance withe the RX 5600 XT. (for $50 less)

And you can be sure they will want to cut costs, as this becomes their new $200-300 price-point cards. Unfortunately there probably won't be an RDNA2 revision of these parts for a couple years.

Having two different tiny revisions of a midrange card are kinda pointless.

Last edited:
What are you talking about RDNA 2 is the high mid range gpu segment, the leaks all show it's competing with a 3070 while it may get close to a 3080 in a few cherry picked scenarios for being much cheaper.
I'm talking about the fact that RDNA2 will be significantly faster than current offerings (5700/XT), and I think that eventually (maybe after a year?) it will make its way down to 5700/XT level and replace them.

I used to have radeon 6870s in crossfire when Battlefield 3 was released (with a Phenom X4 955 Black Edition).

I hope we will have stable and cool radeon cards with the rx 6000 series.
Noise and stability is very important for me so the 5700XT was out of question.

It has to be the gpu itself, my wife has the Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition 5700XT and she has no problems, I have a friend who is using Red Devil with no issues, another of my friends is using an XFX model but its the one with 2 fans and has no issues. One is on B550, one on B450 and one on X570 boards

AKA we'll sell the 5700 at the £200-£250 while replacing it with a £350-400 model for RDNA2.

Actually, it could be down to your GPU itself being of lower quality make.
Recent articles surfaced saying that OEM's apparently like to construct AMD gpu's with lower quality standards... Asus ended up creating quite a ruckus because they made Navi GPU's whose cooling assemblies didn't have correct pressure resulting in black screens, crashes, etc.
That said, try installing and using Radeon Pro Enterprise drivers. They are built for stability.
If those drivers are crashing too, then its the GPU itself... not to the drivers.

Also make sure you're running most up to date Windows, updated BIOS, etc.
Running Vega 56 here and no issues with stability in regards to Adrenaline drivers.
Yeah done all of that, none of it has helped unfortunately. Getting worried it was a crap card until I changed the BIOS switch to "Quiet" mode which now meant I could stress test the PC without a single blue screen.
I have an XFX RX 5700 XT Triple Dissipation and I don't have any problems but I did before. The so-called "WHQL" driver from May is VERY unstable. Use the drivers from August or September (and I've heard that FreeSync has been problematic too). I also know that it's important to have the latest chipset drivers (assuming that you're using an AMD platform) which is something that most people don't even think of.
Yeah I'm using the absolute latest drivers, hasn't helped the bluescreening but changing from HDMI to DisplayPort has made FreeSync far more reliable.

I am "Tech Support". Done everything you've listed except for:
Disable hardware acceleration in your browser's and discord or anything that uses it.
As I don't understand why that would make such a difference? As in, I have never had to do turn those settings off on any PC I have ever built ever, and I've built a lot of custom gaming rigs over the years.
Considering the level of his other build I am sure he has already tried almost all of that, some people are just having driver issues which you shouldn't have to screw around doing almost any of what you mentioned to make the card work properly it's why every reviewer trashed Navi so bad.
Exactly this, I'm not new to building PC's by any stretch of the imagination and I've never had this many issues before, ever, not even close. I'm happy to tweak and fiddle with settings until I'm blue in the face but this is getting ridiculous.
It has to be the gpu itself, my wife has the Sapphire Nitro+ Special Edition 5700XT and she has no problems, I have a friend who is using Red Devil with no issues, another of my friends is using an XFX model but its the one with 2 fans and has no issues. One is on B550, one on B450 and one on X570 boards
Thing is, The cooler on it is a beast 3 fan one and I've underclocked and undervolted it and I can stress test it fine so it's hard to pin it on the GPU itself causing all the issues. Every bluescreen points to the GPU drivers or if a game crashes to desktop the Adrenalin software almost certainly has crashed as well.

Personally, I'm starting to suspect it's RAM related, when I first put the build together, I had to increase RAM voltage to make it remotely stable, after a couple of BIOS updates by Asus, it was unstable with the voltage increase so I set it back to it's rated voltage and thought it was fine, I might run the RAM at base speed and timings and see if it helps.

If anyone is interested in the build (maybe you will see an issue with it that I don't) here's the link to the parts:

- 2TB SSD was a request from the GF as she doesn't like having multiple drives and I couldn't be bothered to talk her out of it.
- Everything is Be Quiet branded because there was a deal going on at the time of purchase.

Yeah done all of that, none of it has helped unfortunately. Getting worried it was a crap card until I changed the BIOS switch to "Quiet" mode which now meant I could stress test the PC without a single blue screen.

Yeah I'm using the absolute latest drivers, hasn't helped the bluescreening but changing from HDMI to DisplayPort has made FreeSync far more reliable.

Disable hardware acceleration in your browser's and discord or anything that uses it.
As I don't understand why that would make such a difference? As in, I have never had to do turn those settings off on any PC I have ever built ever, and I've built a lot of custom gaming rigs over the years.

Exactly this, I'm not new to building PC's by any stretch of the imagination and I've never had this many issues before, ever, not even close. I'm happy to tweak and fiddle with settings until I'm blue in the face but this is getting ridiculous.

Thing is, The cooler on it is a beast 3 fan one and I've underclocked and undervolted it and I can stress test it fine so it's hard to pin it on the GPU itself causing all the issues. Every bluescreen points to the GPU drivers or if a game crashes to desktop the Adrenalin software almost certainly has crashed as well.

Personally, I'm starting to suspect it's RAM related, when I first put the build together, I had to increase RAM voltage to make it remotely stable, after a couple of BIOS updates by Asus, it was unstable with the voltage increase so I set it back to it's rated voltage and thought it was fine, I might run the RAM at base speed and timings and see if it helps.

If anyone is interested in the build (maybe you will see an issue with it that I don't) here's the link to the parts:

- 2TB SSD was a request from the GF as she doesn't like having multiple drives and I couldn't be bothered to talk her out of it.
- Everything is Be Quiet branded because there was a deal going on at the time of purchase.

What motherboard are you using? My wife has X570 Prime Pro and she did have issues with ram, at one point I had to send all the parts back because I was getting crashes and blue screens and just like you I thought it was the gpu but it was her ram. We got new set, the motherboard got few more bios updates and it's ok now

What motherboard are you using? My wife has X570 Prime Pro and she did have issues with ram, at one point I had to send all the parts back because I was getting crashes and blue screens and just like you I thought it was the gpu but it was her ram. We got new set, the motherboard got few more bios updates and it's ok now
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

The BIOS updates have definitely helped but not stopped Bluescreens, I might try another RAM set as this one was quite cheap. Any suggestions on a good RAM kit? 16GB minimum please :)

Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi)

The BIOS updates have definitely helped but not stopped Bluescreens, I might try another RAM set as this one was quite cheap. Any suggestions on a good RAM kit? 16GB minimum please :)

In my PC I'm using Team Group Night Hawk DDR4 3200MHZ 4 x 8GB and it works at 3200Mhz on Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi with Ryzen 2700X. In my Wife's PC we got Corsair Vengeance White RGB DDR4 3200MHZ CL16 and those give us issues but I used Corsair stuff for like 10 years and this is the first time I had problems with them. Can you try maybe borrow ram sticks from a friend for few days to try them out?

It's been in the driver notes for almost a year. (HW acc bug) You work for AMDs tech support? I've read the notes on nearly every new driver since launch. It may not be in the newest release notes, but I've seen known issues come n go.

If you want to know how to disable radeon settings formerly known as Wattman it is somewhere in my post history. Or just return your card, what do I know.... ;) I mean I could just copy paste it, but I don't want to insult you.

And if your ram is not on the qvc list. Contact your mobo ts or read the manual, I mean its really easy to fix it. My manual has the quick fix, maybe yours does too.

Being ts I'd think you would know the importance of contacting ts. Be sure to tell them you are an expert. They love that. But I'm sure you know that.

Ok so the qvc thing, you need to plug in one ram stick into the "proper" slot. Boot, this allows your mobo to kind of update/recognize the ram. Shut down, put in the second stick and it's fine until you screw up the bios, update the bios or reset the bios. Cheap stix ftw.

And of course resetting the bios can smooth things out. Especially if you have been crashing. You might

Last edited:
Back