No Audio Device Detected help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me say, I've found a lot of interesting facts on this website, and am glad I am a member of it. Also Thanks in advance to any help.

I have Windows XP SP3. My audio works and then doesn't work. Now my audio flat out doesn't work at all. I went to the control panel, then to audio and it said no audio device detected. I have an internal sound card. There is a yellow sign with an exclamation point in it next to the Windows Wave Audio Mixer. I tried to update it, but I don't have my Windows disk, or my motherboard disk, or even know what company made my mother board for that matter. I'm not the most computer savy person. With that said, what can I do correct this problem? Thank you

We will have to know what model your motherboard is. Is your computer store bought? If so, what is the make and model of it. Can you open the case and give us all the numbers/ letters you see printed on the motherboard?

I'll try. Let me see. It's a Dell, I know that much. On the outside it says Intel Pentium 4, but that's just the processor

To find your Driver files
Click for the driver page listed my System Vendor. Click on Dell for their driver support site. The just click for Drivers and Downloads. Allow Dell to scan your computer to detect your tag number, etc. and VOILA they will provide a list of drivers. Look for your Audio driver and install it

(it will also tell you your Dell model info as well!)

Dell Didn't scan my computer, I found out that I have a Dimension 4600. It gave me 4 different audio drives/downloads, but how do I know which one is exactly for me?

It gave me : ADI 198x Integrated audio

Soundblaster Audigy 2 (D)
Soundblaster Live! 24 bit
Sounblaster Live ! 5.1 Digital

I downloaded the integrated audio, and rebooted my computer. I still have no audio. The Windows Wave Audio Mixer thing in System says that there are no drives installed. I'm kinda outta answers here and don't know what to do.

Let's see what Windows reports as problem devices
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

/* EDIT */
I downloaded the integrated audio, and rebooted my computer.
I just re-read the sentence above. After you downloaded that driver (which was the correct file for you to download) did it run? It should have
=> First given messages about unpacking its contents
=> The given messages about installing the driver

Hey, I appreciate you're help. Real quick, my good friend is a good computer tech guy, and told me to uninstall or remove all audio devices through device manager. I removed all and uninstalled that Windows Kernel Wave Audio Mixer, then restarted my computer. After I did that, the sound was back on. I just had a power outage 10 - 15 mins ago and when the computer came back on, the audio was gone ( No Audio Device) stated under control panel. The Audio Wave thing, was back in the Audio section. It says The Windows Kernel Audio thing... is missing drivers... I had my original XP disk and tried to do it from there, but nothing (since it prompted me to put my disk either windows or Kernel audio into the CD-R drive. )

I'm getting frusterated.. and I appreciate any help. This is what it said after running what you told me to run:

Terminal Server Keyboard Driver ROOT\RDP_KBD\0000 39
Terminal Server Mouse Driver ROOT\RDP_MOU\0000 39

When you go into device manager go to "view" and then "show hidden devices". See if it displays any more audio devices, especially with a yellow sign. All these hidden devices can cause conflicts with a proper the installation of your audio. If you find any, delete them all and do a complete driver reinstall. I had this problem myself a few months ago and it still mystifies me as to why "hidden devices" end up there in the first place. Probably due to previous faulty installations or something. Give it a try!

Pete7072
I would advise several steps first to perform "general cleanup" then to collect diagnostic data as regards your problem

General
  • Run Windows Update. Set if for "Custom" updates
    • This will display all hi-priority updates
    • It also show Hardware Optional updates.Apply any hardware optional updates.
    • Review any software updates (but those are typically add-on type stuff that shouldn't apply. But read the list and ask if you something you think might apply
  • Click Start->Run, enter cmd. At the prompt enter sfc /scannow
    => This will check the integrity of system files. Asssure not corrupted or missing.
Diagnostics
  • Show non present devices
    • Open a command prompt window (click here for more help as to how)
    • Enter: Devmgmt.msc set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
    • When device manager opens, check Show hidden devices
      => Hidden devices are called "ghost" devices. They appear with transparent icons
      => Some ghost devices are normal (and helpful!) so never remove a ghost simply because you see a ghost device
    • Look at devices listed under Sound, games to note ghosts with yellow or red icons
      => Check that they are also reported in next step as Problem Devices
      => For now, advise you check for ghosts and report them but not yet remove any
  • Check if Windows reports any problem devicesSound, games
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
    • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post
  • Generate a Direct X Diagnostic Report
    • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
    • Notice progress in lower left window corner
    • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
    • Showing hidden devices

/* EDIT */
One other thing occurred to me. Please check:
=> Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. (might take 15-20+ seconds for window to open)
=> Navigate to Software Environment->SystemDrivers
Code:
=> Scroll to [B]swenum[/B], and verify these columnar values
[B]Name	Description	        Started   Mode      State      Status[/B]
swenum	Software Bus Driver	Yes       Manual    Running    OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back