No Boot Screen on HP a450n

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot get my computer to boot. The only message I receive is 'no video'. I am unable to check the bios settings, boot from a cd, or safe boot.

I have reseated the video card, checked the monitor on another computer, changed cables on the monitor, changed the backup battery for the bios to no avail.

The computer was working without a problem when a friend checked her email and received a message that the computer is sleeping. Then all I get now is a 'no video' message. The computer powers up and the cd rom drives eject. The hard drive light stays yellow.

Any thoughts or questions would be greatly appreciated.

Could be anything. How old is it. Any failure will get you that message on that model of HP... bad hard drive, defective video graphics, worn-out cpu fan, burned out memory.
Start with the most simple interface... boot to SAFE MODE from a cold boot. As soon as you press the on switch, begin pressing the <F8> key once per second until it has had time to boot... about a minute.
If the video card is bad, you will get a low-resolution screen which you can then select SAFE MDOE.
If it is a hard drive, nothing will happen.
If it is a memory module, you can remove one module (if there are two) and boot to the second module. Of course, it that does not work, switch modules.
To test for a bad hard drive, use a borrowed one to see if you can install the recovery disk set to it. If you get any action, buy a hard drive you like (I recommend Seagate with the five year warranty, or a Western Digital, Toshiba, or Samsung.
Good luck. Let us know what happened next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back