No Boot Sector on Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have recently installed a new Hard Drive for my Studio laptop 1735 as my last one died. When I start the computer i get the above message. Is there some kind of download that I need. I am presently using a friends laptop so would have to use a cd rom on that computer. I don't have any cds other than the original Dell OS disc which says that it is "already installed on my laptop".

Any help would be appreciated as I have been on the dell website for the last two days trying to find out what i should do. I need an *****s guide actually as i do not know alot about the workings of computers!

Many thanks in anticipation osolve this problem.

Check your notebook's bios and see if you can change Hard Disk settings; probably you'll need to enable something like "IDE Emulation" or "AHCI" for your SATA HDD in bios.

The topic message appears because there is no partition(s)/bootable os on your hdd at the moment.

However, I am unsure why your dell disc's give you that message. Let me know if the above tip helps you or not.

Hi, thanks for replying. the disc that i have is not recognised at all after inserting it and when i go into the HDD bios info it tells me that the HDD it is unchangeble.

If i understand correctly 'you mean the hdd is not recognized in bios as well'. If that is the case provided the data cable/power connector are ok ... then you've got take it back to your supplier and get it replaced

Alright scrap the earlier bit then; it all comes down to getting your hdd partitions/bootable now.

Does your recovery cd give you 'Dell Factory Image Restore' or something similar when you boot from it?

If it doesn't it will be much easier for you to create partition(s) using Windows XP setup cd if you can find one; then return to your recovery cd's and try to restore your system.

As you earlier said you only have dell's recovery cd's; nothing else ... not even Windows XP setup CD I assume.

Do you have access to another notebook or computer with a dvd/cd writer? You will also need an empty cd.

That is the only disc i have. i am using a laptop at the moment which has a DVD/CD -RW Drive BBCDVD2529, is that the same as dvd/cd writer. (excuse my ignorance) i also have a blank CD-R80

Ok.

1. Go to EasEus Partition software site; and download the free version, its very handy and easy to use. I've used it for many years.
2. Then Go and read How to make EasEus Bootable CD; follow the instructions on this page; make the bootable CD, boot your notebook with it; and make partitions on your new hdd according to your needs.

Once you are able to do that; try running your dell recovery CDs and restore your system.

Goodluck

Ok thanks, I am just off to night school so will have a go doing as you said when i return. I'll let you know how i get on, again many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back