No Control Panel "another program using this file"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. Thankyou for taking the time to look at this for me. I can normally sort out most computer problems but MAN this one has me beat.

I have a problem when I want to access my control panel, system restore or my computer properties. I keep getting an error message saying Another program using this file and I am denied access.

Currenty I have used 2 online scans, AdAware, Spybot and ewido. The only bad thing that was found was a H@t keys h@@k,dll (nasty). I am stuck in what to do now because I cannot disable system restore to perform some deeper scans. As with the control panel, the system restore is being used by another program.

I would like to post my latest Hijack this log file and hope that one of you smart people out there can help me with this.

I have found someone with a similar problem on this forum but the log files look different and I do not have the same processes running as them so it was not much help to me.

Oh yeah I also tried to run in safe mode but control panel is still unresponsive even in Safe mode.

I read through what to do before posting and have done all I was told to do except for the things that have to be done with system restore off as I cannot turn it off. I hope I have done everything correct before posting.

Have included ewido and hijack this report.

Appreciate any help. Am really stuck. Thankyou.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your HJT log is clean, absolutely no signs of infection.

Try running a Windows repair as per this thread HERE and see if that helps.

Please let me know the results.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thankyou for the warm welcome.

I will reinstall/repair my windows install as soon as I find my Dell/Windows install disk. In a box somewhere. Might take a couple of days to find as I am just about to move and everything is packed.

Appreciate the quick reply and advice. Will post again after re-install to see if that sorts it out.

Regards and thanks.

I've got it. all is okay (for now) Even after scanning my computer 100 times a trojan virus - Trojan.small.js had infected my C:Windows\system32\runDLL32.exe.
And there you have it. Thought it was virus like activity but could not find it.
But ewido found it. Don't know why all of a sudden it found it but so glad it did.
So if you get this same problem then look there first!!!!
:)

same problem

Ive got the same problem exactly. but the file dosent show as infected( rundll32). Did weekend warrior do the repair on windows as suggested or did you just get lucky scanning. Ive DL'ed ewido but have had no success with several scans.
I havent tryed anything else as I have little experience dealing with such matters. could you possibly list the process/ programs you used to rid the problem. Thanx in advance.

Hi Guys...

Basically, same problem. Something is taking over my control panel options so in essence as soon as I try to do admin stuff, "another program is using this file"

Had a search of the applications running, scanned rundl32.... did a scan using pc-cillan 06.... got 16 cookies for spyware..but nothing to get rid of this problem HJT log attached. Any ideas?

I couldn't see anything odd on the hjt file to give me a hint.

Max_Power and Rx1990. hello and welcome to Techspot.

Would you please both open a new thread in our security and the web forum, after following these instructions.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of westernwarrior only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back