No internet!? Cant connectto anything, "page cannot be displayed" plese help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

Hi

Having a major sense of humour faliure over this internet connection.
It is a Broadband connection via a linksys wireless router, going directly into a wired base computer, and (this laptop) wirelessly. The laptop is working just as it shoud, fine!

The Pc on the otherhand, Dell Dimension 2400, on XP SP2 will not connect whatsoever to the internet, no matter whati try. ive repaired the connection, on the "Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller" (the only existing connection) and that has failed. The internet connection settings on IE are set to the same as this laptop, automatic detect is off, like on this.

This happened after a restart, everything wasnt working on IE before, but only on Opera,now on neither. please help as this is incredibly annoying and i cant seem to work it out. (This is an NTL broadband connection, if that helps!)

Thanks, Toddy

1) Recheck your firewall settings.

2) Open command prompt from start->run->cmd->enter

type in: ping www.google.com

If you get a response, it means the net is working fine, but somehow you are being blocked.

3)Make sure your not behind any proxies, and see if you can ping your router.

4) Make sure you are getting an address from your router. If it is DHCP that allocates IP addresses, try assigning a startic address.

Is the computer active on the network? Can you send files between the computers? If you cant youve got a LAN problem and not an internet one.

no, it was definatley a net problem, however i used TuneUp utilities Rescue Centre to restore a few set) it was quite probabtings i changed before the restart. I think, there was something in the startup that i disabled perhaps, as it was an odd conection type (i dont know what it is called). anyway, it seems to be working fine now, on both browsers! Thanks all ,,

Toddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back