No monitor after updates?

Dea30

i have a pc that i was trying to update when i updated the drivers everything was fine until it rebooted when it rebooted the screen went to sleep mode i have tried another monitor but still the same thing is there anyway i can put the hd in to another pc for it to work so i can maybe change what i can to get it to read or atleast see on the other pc?

You could hook your drive up to another PC and try to boot from it but I doubt it will be any different. Sounds like you have downloaded a bad driver.

Can you get it to boot in safe mode and then use system restore to take it back to before you installed the driver.

What driver was it?

What OS are you using?

Do you have the OS disc?

the driver was from hp
os is xp
i cant see to get it in anything i will try putting it on my other pc hopfully it will let me see..

wish there was a way to just whip everything off & start again lol i would do that too lol

The driver was from HP, isn't quite the answer I needed, I asked what the driver was. Have you flashed the Bios? Please do try it in another PC but if it won't boot in yours it is very unlikely to boot in any other unless your PC has coincidentally developed a fault at the same time as updating a driver.

If you want to wipe it clean just hook it up to another PC with a USB adapter and format it from within Windows Explorer.

Have you tried booting the PC with the Windows disc in the CD drive? If it won't boot from the windows disc there may be other problems.

What is the Model of the PC? and is it a laptop or dektop.

the driver was from hp.com there offical site.. it was something to do with the bios i cant see anything on any monitor to do anything that means i dont know if it boots in anything how ever it does turn on..
its a desktop its about 5yrs i believe or 7yrs.

If you want to wipe it clean just hook it up to another PC with a USB adapter and format it from within Windows Explorer.

how will that work ?

From what you are saying you have tried to attempt a Bios update and it has gone wrong. Flashing the Bios has to be done correctly, if you used the wrong Bios version or didn't follow the instructions correctly you end up with a non bootable PC, exactly what you now have.

Pleae give me the motherboard make and model number and I will see if there is any way out of this. Also let me have the computer make and model. Don't worry about the hard drive because that is most likely to be ok.

I had this problem when updating drivers a few times on my HTPC rig. Do you at least get the HP logo and/or initial startup information showing on the screen when restarting, but when it goes into Windows it just blanks out? If so, as the system is starting, mash the F8 button repeatedly until you get the boot menu with options to go into Safe Mode. You may need to use that to reset your video settings (usually a bad resolution gets locked in or some other holdover from a previous version of the video gets stuck).

If you don't even get the BIOS boot up information, or any action at all on the screen - well, as Mark56 indicated, you may have a flubbed BIOS install.

One other question: Are you using an integrated video connection (part of the motherboard), or do you have a video card installed? Sometimes the video will switch to integrated after a BIOS update, and need to be switched to the PCI-e video output. Just something else to check on.

i cant get in to anything the monitor doesnt read as in a blank screen just black..

the graphics i am using the onboard there is no other in the pc

It is an Asus A8M2N-LA motherboard.

The latest Bios version is dated 2007 was there an earlier version on your PC? Why did you want to update it or was there some other problem that you have not told us?

OK, I've done some research on this. Here is a picture of the mobo.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00757531#N371

It does not have a recovery jumper so the CMOS chip is done for.

I cannot be 100% sure but it looks as if the CMOS chip is removable, that is to say it is plugged into a base so can be replaced without soldering. Take a closer look at your mobo, the CMOS chip is half way down on the right hand side just below the power connector. It can be seen in the picture and is slightly green in colour (yours may not be that colour).

Give HP a ring and see if you can get a replacement. And don't try to update the Bios again. You may be able to replace it if it is soldered but that will need an extremely steady hand and a very fine soldering iron, best left to an expert.

Back