No signal from Graphics Card output

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardiiboy

I recently turned on my comp to find that my monitor was no longer recieving any signal from either of my graphics card output sockets even though it seemed to have been working fine the night before and I hadnt changed or altered any settings. At first i thought that it may have been my monitor which was fault but after plugging it into my motherboards on board graphics slot it seems to be working fine. My motherboard also seems to be recieving some kind of signal from my graphics card as I can play games and do things which wouldnt be possible from my motherboards onboard graphics driver alone although the picture isnt as clear as it usually is and the graphics in games arent as good when plugged into the graphics card slots.
After looking up posts on similar problems i have tried the following things:
- Unistalling graphics card and reinstalling with most up to date ATI drivers
- Unistalling and reinstalling with Omega drivers
- Plugging my old monitor into the card
My friend suggested that it might be some damaged or missing OS files which had perhaps been damaged or deleted by a virus. If this is the case im not sure how to fix this other than reformatting the hard-drive and reinstalling windows from scratch which i am reluctant to do without a second opinion due to the hassle involved with it.
I also read on some posts that taking the card out and putting it back in might fix such problems but i am unsure about poking around inside the unit until i got a second opinion although i did clear out what little dust there was inside without disturbing anything.
Its annoying due to the fact that it was working fine the night before and just seems to an unprovoked problem.
My system specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.21GHz
1.87 GB RAM
ATI Radeon X1200
Windows XP

The card is fairly new but has worked without any problems for the past month. Another post i read said it may be a power output issue but I have a 550W power supply. The temp inside the comp also seems to be fine and apart from the card not seeming to produce any signal the computer seems to be running fine.
Thank you in advance for any help.

The use of an add-on graphics card is supposed to disable onboard.

If onboard is still working, I suspect you may have a conflict.

You can go into Bios, disable onboard, and reboot.

If the graphics add-on card doesn't give you video, then you need to shut down and unplug and reset the CMOS (pull the battery for 2 minutes) and that will re-enable default onboard graphics.

If you are not comfortable going inside, DON'T!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back