"No Signal" Message on Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I usually don't post on forums since I am usually able to find solutions to problems my computers may be having from many of the useful replies and stickies. However, I've read several posts on this subject but havent been able to find anything that might help me, so I'm hoping someone out there might have some advice as to what is causing the issue at hand.

I recently took my computer to get fixed and the place foudn that it was a video card issue. By the end the computer was working, they even proved it by turning it on and running Warcraft 3 with out any issues.

When I brought my system home and tried to run it I started to get the message that my monitor wasn't getting a signal.

Since the monitor I have has two inputs (one for a cable that coonects directly to the Video card-it's colored white, and one that connects to a blue connector on the PC). I decided to try both individually, I tried the white cable and got the no signal message. I tried the blue cable and got the same message.

To check if the monitor was defective I pluged my laptop to the monitor and I got the monitor to display the laptops display.

So now, I'm at a complete loss of what may be causing the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Fo

When are you getting the "No Signal" message? The moment you turn on the computer? Does the computer itself boot OK? Can you hear the normal startup activity peaking with Windows startup?

You may have bumped something loose when bringing the computer home. Check all the connections inside, especially the video card ones.

If the "No Signal" message appears only after the Windows logo screen, then the technicians at the shop set your video to a resolution or refresh rate that your monitor cannot handle. You should boot into safe mode and tweak the settings in display properties.

I get the no signal message the moment I turn on the system. The computer seems to turn on okay, I hear the fans going on, the only thing I cant hear is the familar windows music once it starts up, the reason maybe that the computer is set up with different users so one needs to be selected before I can hear it.

Something strange that I noticed is that the optical mouse's light doesn tgo on when the system is turned on, neither does the keyboard.

This is an extremely confusing, and not to mention fustration situation because this thing was working at the tech place.

I've also checked the videocard and it seems to be firmly in place.

I hope this sheds more light on the issue.

--Fo

Try connecting only the monitor signal cable with the blue insert to the back of the video card. If you have been connecting this to the motherboard output (near the mouse/keyboard connections) you will not get a signal.
Are your mouse and keyboard connected with PS/2 connections (green and purple) or by USB. Check the connections and reconnect them.
If this does not work and you still get the monitor message (it is telling you that it does not think it is connected to anything) and the mouse/keyboard do nothing, take it back to the shop again and watch them make it work for you!

The video card has two connections but they are both white. I tryed using a converter that allows me to use a blue connecter, but that didn't work either.

The keyboard is a PS/2 connection whiel the mouse is a USB connection.

Options are
1. The video card is faulty
2. your PSU is not up to the load
3. the GPU fan bearing is shot - what happens it you (carefully!) stop it when it is screeching?

Did you send your monitor to the repair shop aswell? if not it may be the resolution has been set higher than you monitor can handle. reboot in safe mode and set to a resolution you know works.. hope this helps :)

If you don't see the keyboard and mouse starting up, then your system is not booting. You have bad motherboard, bad PSU, bad video card, bad CPU, bad RAM..

It's still a good idea to open up the machine and make sure all plugs and cards are seated properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back