No Signal Message (Spectre Monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjudgementday17

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 4000+
GHX Card: EVGA Geforce 7900GTX
Monitor: Spectre X20G-NAGA III

I have recently started building a new omputer and I have run into a problem. The computer turns on but when I look at the monitor, an message pops up showing a picture of this: Monitor ---> X --->Tower (Basically meaning that it has no connection to the computer) I find that intresting though because I have everything plugged in and in the right slots.

Any ideas? Any solutions? Please help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot!

We need to back up a bit first. Open up your case and have a look.

When the system is not turned on, there is an LED light on your board. Can you see it? What color is it? When you hit the power button, tell us EXACTLY what happens. Any fans spinning? Does the color of that light change? Any beeps from the system?

Did you connect the power connector to your graphics card?

How many watts is your PSU (and what make is it)?

Tell us some more about your ram. What size and speed are the ram? How many sticks?

DonNagual said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot!

We need to back up a bit first. Open up your case and have a look.

When the system is not turned on, there is an LED light on your board. Can you see it? What color is it? When you hit the power button, tell us EXACTLY what happens. Any fans spinning? Does the color of that light change? Any beeps from the system?

Did you connect the power connector to your graphics card?

How many watts is your PSU (and what make is it)?

Tell us some more about your ram. What size and speed are the ram? How many sticks?

Alright, inside the case there is a green light that is on and a red light that is off. When I turn the computer on, all the lights stay the same (green on/red off) and all the fans I have installed are spinning. There are no beeping noises of any sort. I believe I have connected a 6-pin power connector to the graphics card. My PSU is 550W/ASUS and I have G.Skill 2GB 184-Pin RAM. (2 Sticks)

Assuming your case has a system speaker (most do) and that you connected it (one of those really annoying tiny wires you hooked up) then your system is not POSTing. You should be getting a single beep to let you know all is OK, but you are not. Usually this is a ram issue.

Try with just one stick to help troubleshoot. What speed is your ram? DDR400?

Do you have both of the power connections going to your motherboard as well? The main 24 pin as well as the other 6 pin connector?

Did you use the riser pins? The metal stand-offs that you screw into your case, to hold your motherboard (or did you screw your motherboard DIRECTLY into the case)?

DonNagual said:
Assuming your case has a system speaker (most do) and that you connected it (one of those really annoying tiny wires you hooked up) then your system is not POSTing. You should be getting a single beep to let you know all is OK, but you are not. Usually this is a ram issue.

Try with just one stick to help troubleshoot. What speed is your ram? DDR400?

Do you have both of the power connections going to your motherboard as well? The main 24 pin as well as the other 6 pin connector?

Did you use the riser pins? The metal stand-offs that you screw into your case, to hold your motherboard (or did you screw your motherboard DIRECTLY into the case)?

What do you mean by "tiny wires"? Do you mean one of those single pin ones?

I took a stick of ram out (speed: ddr 400) and tryed it with one, but i still get the no signal message.
I do have the main 24 pin and the 6 pin plugged into the motherboard.
As far as the riser pins go, I didn't use them. I just screwed the motherboard directly onto the case.

OK, we may have found your problem. Unplug right away.

Some cases come with riser pins pre-installed, but most do not.

Riser pins separate your motherboard from your case, without them your motherboard will short out on the case, and there is a high chance that damage could be done to the motherboard.

Read your case's manual and find out what it says about riser pins and whether or not they are necessary. I hope this is not your problem....

(and by the way, yes that was what a meant by tiny wires. The single pin annoying ones)

DonNagual said:
OK, we may have found your problem. Unplug right away.

Some cases come with riser pins pre-installed, but most do not.

Riser pins separate your motherboard from your case, without them your motherboard will short out on the case, and there is a high chance that damage could be done to the motherboard.

Read your case's manual and find out what it says about riser pins and whether or not they are necessary. I hope this is not your problem....

(and by the way, yes that was what a meant by tiny wires. The single pin annoying ones)

The case manual (Case: Thermaltake TsunamiVA3000 Series) says nothing about riser pins but I have unplugged.

I just downloaded and had a look through your manual, and it isn't really clear whether or not there are standoffs pre-installed in the case.

When I look at the pictures of the chassis on thermaltakes homepage, it really doesn't look like there are any riser pins installed though. (They are also called "standoffs" sometimes).

Here is a simple diagram to explain what you are looking for:

58695.jpg

DonNagual said:
I just downloaded and had a look through your manual, and it isn't really clear whether or not there are standoffs pre-installed in the case.

When I look at the pictures of the chassis on thermaltakes homepage, it really doesn't look like there are any riser pins installed though. (They are also called "standoffs" sometimes).

Alright, I have found the riser pins. I'll go and put those in. I'll post in a few minutes with another update.

Be forewarned, there is a good chance that some damage may have been done to your motherboard.

I hope it fires up for you and all is fine! Let us know how it goes, fingers crossed.

DonNagual said:
Be forewarned, there is a good chance that some damage may have been done to your motherboard.

I hope it fires up for you and all is fine! Let us know how it goes, fingers crossed.

<UPDATE>

I replaced the exsisting screws with riser pins and now the monitor is working! I am not sure yet if the motherboard was damaged at all though.
Thanks for the help!

I assume this means you are able to get into your BIOS? Have you installed windows? If you can get that far, then there's a pretty good chance that nothing was damaged. Great news, and I am glad I could help out. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back