No signal with DP on wake up from sleep

scubaslim

I have an XB241H G-Sync monitor. It works perfectly when using HDMI...

but with Displayport, it works fine when freshly powering up the computer. It works fine when waking up from hibernation....

but when waking up from sleep, which is my preferred method, the monitor will power up, the splash screen will pop up, then "no signal"... The PC is on, as it can play music and if I plug in a different monitor, it's working...

I have tried the following:
lowering the Hz
swapping DP cables
using High performance mode
turning off link state
making sure connections are tight
switching to different DP ports on my GTX 970

any ideas

I'm no expert on this stuff, and I hope others can offer a better answer...but the problem is "sleep" - the combination of motherboard, RAM, video card and monitor just does not work as it should as it just does not fit precisely into the 'sleep' designed in the OS. Possibilities include too little voltage to RAM when in sleep due to the defined energy cap for this specification. Microsoft offers these ideas about how to fix the issue.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...hoot-problems-waking-computer-from-sleep-mode

Most interesting - - performs correctly after hibernate but not sleep. Hibernate is the more drastic of the two and shuts off as much power as possible.

The obvious workaround is to use hibernate :grin:

Most interesting - - performs correctly after hibernate but not sleep. Hibernate is the more drastic of the two and shuts off as much power as possible.

The obvious workaround is to use hibernate :grin:
The idea here is that the RAM is not viable storage for the machine state - while the HDD, etc is. So what could prevent RAM from keeping its memory. My vote is bad design - I think there is an artificial cap - "one watt" - lurking in the specification for 'sleep' - but I suppose that it could be software/drivers/firmware. Maybe addressed in a BIOS update?

You gave the video spec --what hardware platform are you using?

I updated the BIOS. It SEEMS to have fixed the problem. Only say seems because I thought a few other things had fixed it the past, but its definitely worked longer than any other changes I made. thanks!

There are known issues with PSUs upon resume from S-6 (?) sleep mode. This is the "Haswell certified" credit you'll often see on new PSUs.

I still have trouble with my Skylake box, if left on "standby" for too long. It won't resume until I turn it off and on. It reboots, then resumes Windows from where it was.

I honestly have no idea if this has anything to do with your issue. This is just a generic post about resume issues with very late model Intel based PCs.

Welp, it stopped working again.... so I guess it wasn't the BIOS

as for the PSU, I have an Antec a-750 Platinum

OK, you probably already have, or are aware of, the fact Asus most likely has a custom driver for that specific monitor.

As for your resume issues, this might sound silly, (in fact it does to me as I type it), but perhaps the video card is "confused" as to what refresh rate it's supposed to resume at,and therefore doesn't. Is it possible you need to opt to variable refresh each time you game, and back to 60 Hz when you power down?

I would however suggest, at least try to set your PC to "S-3" sleep, instead of the deeper S-6 mode, which is now standard.

Have you tried Nvidia forums to find out if this is an issue with their current drivers?

Still haven't figured this out, but I heard from Acer support and they suggested to disable monitor auto detect... anybody know how to do that??

Hi! I research just like you do. I really have no experience with your issue. I posted two links I found. Let us know how things go.
;)

Contact the business you are working with.
Looking for help in this forum is much lessless than contacting the manufacturer.

Hey, I don't know if you ever found a solution to this issue... I was having the exact same issue with an LG 4k monitor and my old Radeon 270x, in Windows 10. It was so frustrating. Sometimes I'd have to power cycle the monitor like 5 times to finally get it to display something after cold boot or waking from sleep.

Anyway, I determined that the issue never occurred when I deselected the "Displayport 1.2" option in the monitor's on screen display (using the buttons on the monitor to navigate the menu). Unfortunately, this restricted the display to 30 FPS at 4k, instead of the 60 FPS I was used to, so this was unacceptable. But it confirmed for me that this is a Displayport 1.2 issue. I tried numerous software and driver updates, etc. with no luck.

I saw some advice online about trying a different cable, which I thought was BS since I was using the cable that came with my monitor... HOW COULD THAT BE THE PROBLEM? But anyway I eventually rolled the dice and bought a $13 Displayport 1.2 cable off of Amazon... and low and behold the issue is now completely gone. My guess is that it was a faulty cable or an incompatibility issue with my old videocard that I'll never diagnose... but I'll never know for sure. However, it has been several weeks since I swapped the cable and there have been 0 issues, from what used to happen ~50% of the time. Here is the cable I purchased, not sure if it matters.

Edit: I just made this account on this forum to post this solution, since I struggled with this issue for ~9 months, so this is my first post. I really hope it helps someone!

Sorry to necro this thread. However, I was running into the same issue and swapping out my displayport cable fixed it. This was the only thread I found with this fix.

A little more info:
-Windows 11
-Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
-Corsair RGB Vengeance Pro 32GB (8x4) DDR4 3600 RAM
-MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio (connected via DisplayPort)
-Adata XPG 2TB GAMMIX S70 SSD
-Samsung Odyssey G7 28” IPS

Those are the specs on my gaming PC. I also have a work laptop hooked up to the same monitor through HDMI and my mouse and keyboard are connected to a USB switch so I can flip between the two.

I usually start my day by switching my input to the laptop HDMI, switching USB to my laptop, then wake the laptop up with the mouse or keyboard and go on about my day.

In the evening, I switch input to the gaming PC DP, switch the USB hub to my gaming PC, and wake up the PC by pushing the power button. I haven’t figured out why I can’t wake up my PC with mouse or keyboard.

However, once the computer is awake, the monitor never registers it. I generally have to reboot the PC for the monitor to work.

Something else, the Samsung monitor is new. I was using a Dell S2721DGF and this same PC was connected to DisplayPort and never had this issue. So anyway, new monitor, love it, but had this issue since I got it a few weeks ago. I found this thread, and remembered that the new Samsung came with a DP cable in the box. I swapped in that cable and the issue seems to be resolved now. Thank you for the fix!

Yep, I have the Asus specific driver.

How would I switch to S-3? I can't find that in the BIOS
You can't find it in BIOS because it's not in BIOS. Windows dictates power settings.

OK, (Sorry but this is from Windows 7) Control Panel > Power Management > Select a Power Plan, Should be set to "balanced"
Then click on "change advanced power settings" > (new small window) Make sure "Hibernate is set to "never". That will give you standard S-3 sleep state. Both states remained in 7's drop down menu. I'm guessing for you, it will become a right click option.

Supposed PSUs were marketed as "Haswell ready". Which was Bullsh!t. I have a Skylake rig (later thasn Haswell), which would never wake the video driver, and thus required a reboot. The longer it was in "hibernate", the less likely the video driver was to restart.

In Windows 7 anyway, S-6 (hibernate was standard), you had to change to S-3 sleep. I'm assuming Windows 10 followed that tradition. You know "energy saving conscious". Pity it didn't work.

Back