No solution for weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deral

I would really appreciate any help. This problem has been annoying me for WEEKS.

After i reinstalled windows xp pro, in 3D games like Wow/CS/flatout, i see flashing lines across my screen. After 0-5min of playing, game freezes, but i still can hear sound playing. I hit windows button, and it goes to windows in 5 seconds. everything is back to normal - or sometimes display drivers turns off.
I thought it was display card problem, so i bought new card, Radeon x9600 agp. Same problem appeared. Before that i had radeon x700. Heat is maximum ~ 70 when playing.

I've run 3dmark05 test. There were flashing lines only at loading box, but not in the 'test'.

My computer:

sfdux7.jpg

I think you should try using the official ATi Catalyst drivers as opposed to the Omega drivers. They might be causing the problems. If it's at 70C at full load, it is quite hot so you might try getting a new cooler for the card. But first try downloading and installing the latest Catalyst drivers from here.

I've tried Omegas drivers, Ati's, and the ones on the CD. 70c isnt that hot. i think problem isnt in the card

70C under load is pretty hot for a X700LE. The flashing lines etc you're getting is indicative of artifacting, which is commonly caused by the GPU overheating. Either that, or the PSU is inadequate for the card. I doubt it is that though, since it only needs a measly 300W PSU so I think it is more to do with the temps.
If you're getting artifacting with the 9600XT as well, then it might be the slot itself. Try both cards in another system if u can and see how it works out.

I dont think its about temperature, in Live for speed game textures are different colors as they are supposed to be, and the game crashes in like 20 seconds. heat is like 60 at that time. both cards work on other computer with same heats

And the games run fine on the other PC as well? Then it is most likely the slot. But check ur PSU wattage as well (by looking at the sticker), just to rule that out. And how many fans do you have in ur case?

hmm it says Max output 300W.

Display card - one fan
processor - one fan
power supply - one fan

You can either narrow it down to a failing PSU, which you can check by using another one and seeing whether there is a problem, or to a bad card(s), which is unlikely. But you haven't told me whether games like Most Wanted etc run fine on the other PC you have. Does the artifacting appear on that PC as well?

same games work on another pc with these cards without artifacts

+ dunno if this is important, but the games work on this computer with integrated card, no artifacts.

Then it is most definitely the slot or the PSU, since heat is out of the question. Check if it is the PSU by changing the PSU for the one from the other PC and trying the card out again. If that still doesn't help, you need a new mobo I'm afraid. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back