No sound present after reinstallation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

I installed windows xp onto my pc (dimension 5000, dell) and I can't get any sound. I used to have a cd called soundblaster and have misplaced that disc. I couldn't even access volume control but I went to the dell site and installed audio drivers and now have volume control but there is just no sound out the speakers?!. Any advice would be great.

Go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager. Are there any yelllow asterisks in the audio lists? If so, remove that device and restart the computer. If we are lucky, the correct driver may be picked up

1. Check status of Windows Audio Service
Click Start->Run, enter services.msc. Then scroll down to Windows Audio Service. Is Status=Started and StartupType=Automatic?

2. I assume you have onboard sound device? (i.e. the sound chip came with your computer's motherboard?) Check your BIOS to make certain any "onboard" sound options are enabled

3. You can also double check if Windows reports any problem devices (i.e. detects any hardware driver issues)
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

windows audio service is started.
problem devices multimedia audio controller, the device is not installed.

Anyone tell me the exact link I need to get the driver?

Bobby123
Is most odd that you installed the driver yet Windows still reports the driver is uninstalled.
> Plus i see the Dell driver for your Dimension 5000 is Soundmax
> Did your CD really say Soundblaster? (do you recall?)
> Is it possible you added a sound card in addition to what came with your Dell? So the dell driver really is installed but not the one for the added sound card?

Could you please re-do the steps i gave to create the Problem Device Report? Then copy/paste ALL of the data it outputs. I would like to see the cryptic looking device device ID string that's include in the Problem Report

Yes. And it should be available from the Dell site! But as you said you tried that already... i really need to know all that data i keep asking for in Windows Device Problem report... so can you do it again and copy / paste all the data it provides? (I need to see those device IDs to definitively know if the dell driver should work or if you have some other hardware installed)

AH-HA!

At least based what from i see on first look, you have an off-board sound card as well as the integrated sound that comes with your Dell

In other words, the uninstalled device really is a Soundblaster card. The Dell driver loads for the sound card that came on the Dell motherboard

So, I can look/try and find you the right driver (or you might just want to look at the Soundblaster site to see if they can auto-detect the right driver for you). Otherwise, will be a bit before i can go look for you.

Might also wonder why your onboard sound isn't working (if you get no sound). Or if you want it working (if we're going to fix the Soundblaster card)

And as to why the Dell onboard sound may or may not be working, you might check your BIOS settings to see if it's enable or disabled
>>>>>Also, as a side note, since i see your ethernet card drivers aren't installed i'm guessing you're using Wireless. But, regardless, you should know just as i'm guessing you can't be connected over LAN cable ;)

I will certainly go try and take a look.. but may not be able to reply till later or tomorrow.. but will definitely reply to let you know what i might find

Not sure exactly what you meant by last post... but try this

Use Internet Explorer (not Firefox) and either click the link that follows and open it in IE or you can rt click the link->Copy Link Location and then paste into IE window
http://support.creative.com/downloads/softwareautoupdate.aspx

Then if you scroll the window down a bit you should be seeing "Welcome to Creative Software AutoUpdate" followed by instructions on how to use it

I went to the dell site and installed audio drivers and now have volume control but there is just no sound out the speakers?!
If you get the Soundblaster driver installed, then that should clear up your problem. However -- I just wanted to throw this out there. Have you tried plug your speakers into the *other* set of audio jacks in the back of your computer?

The audio jacks closer to the bottom of your PC will be for the Soundblaster (which shouldn't work because you don't have drivers installed for it). The ones closer to the top (near where you probably plug in your keyboard) should be working.

I'd prefer to have the Soundblaster working, but for most people, they couldn't care less. So if you have trouble sgetting the Soundblaster to work, try changing the audio ports from the ones near the bottom to the set near the top.

Not sure exactly what you meant by last post... but try this

Use Internet Explorer (not Firefox) and either click the link that follows and open it in IE or you can rt click the link->Copy Link Location and then paste into IE window
http://support.creative.com/downloads/softwareautoupdate.aspx

Then if you scroll the window down a bit you should be seeing "Welcome to Creative Software AutoUpdate" followed by instructions on how to use it

that link aint working god damnit!

the only thing that i can think of is that you have an onboard sound device, built onto the motherboard, But all soundblasters that i know of are plug-in cards. i had your problem with my audio device, took me ages to find the right driver for the built in device.

even after i had found the right driver, i had to reboot into BIOs to activate the onboard sound device becouse the default setting seemed to be "off" when i reinstalled my o.s.. if you do not know the BIOS its pretty simple just be very careful about what you do. (i can not help any further becouse i can not be held responsible for a mega-crash:stickout:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back