No video signal from MSI mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine gave me a MSI K6N Diamond Plus mobo. Everything on it worked, except for the onboard audio, which wasn't a big deal. Recently, I tried to install a Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card, only to have my computer tell me that a recent hardware change is preventing windows from booting up. So, I took the sound card out, but now I am no longer getting any kind of a signal to my video card. The strange thing is that on occasion, it will work. I've tried switching the video card to the other PCIE slot and switching out the RAM, but so far nothing has worked.

Any suggestions? Or does it sound like this mobo is fried.

I would reset the CMOS and see if that clears it up. If you mistyped and meant MSI K8N Diamond Plus, there should be a CMOS reset button on the motherboard you can press to clear it, or you can remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes to do the same thing. If you do mean K6N, I don't know if it has a reset button. Then you would have to remove the battery.

Next time disable the onboard sound in the BIOS before installing the sound card. It should work fine that way provided you can get everything going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back